Status
Not open for further replies.

YEAitsgotaslant6

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi Guys,

Dad bought this crash box from his buddy in 1970. His buddy ordered it from the Sox & Martin book and Herb McCandless. Dad talked to his buddy recently after almost 30 years and confirmed it is the box from Sox & Martin. This is a crash box a833. It has no synchros.

It's an A-833 18 spline/long tail shaft Crashbox-slickshift
No synchros NOT 23 SPLINE
1970 TRANS Less than 500MILES on the trans, all local driving.

You can still see the paint on the gears, the thing is barely used.

If anyone is doing a Sox & Martin restoration or tribute, you can't do much better than original, Un-raced, Sox & Martin Parts.

We are taking offers, although obviously this is a very specific piece. PM with any questions I'll get whatever info you need.

I will post picture tomorrow when I have a chance to stop at my father's.

Thanks again guys,
Chris

Love the name "Crash Box" for a 4 speed. Someday hopefully I will get to try one out. I guess those trans where all out or nothing as far as shifting is that correct?

Actually you can drive with it, but there aren't any synchros, so you need to double clutch to downshift.

I have the numbers for the trans as well. Trans was ordered as "I want the same trans that's going into the prostock cars." From Sox & Martin.

A-833

Tail housing-
stamp plate: 122
Cast: 099539-53

Side Cover
Stamp plate: 10x31
Cast #: 95664z

Body
Stamp Plate: 10x30
3 99129 H

Nose:

Yup, street manners, you rev it in 1st, pull it out and rest it in the next gear gate and let the RPM's fall and the shifter eventually gets sucked into the next gear- No clutch really needed unless your taking it out of N. Can't downshift this way though and you can always bang 'em like a motorcycle too, just throw it in into the next gear hard while just twitching your foot off the gas. I think they called them crash boxes because if your hand slipped off the shifter it would crash into the dash!

From what I hear, it's a hell of a ride. It was bought for a small 57 Plymouth Belvedere Rod with a 392 that my dad's friend had built (and still has if you believe it!) and it was put in for a short while and found to be a bit much for the street. So Dad traded a stock a833 for it and it's been just gingerly kept since. Dad was building a 70 Superbee when I was a kid, He had an original, unused 426 block from 68 i believe, that had been slowly pieced together through the 80's (McCandless did the heads and he had the pistons done and so forth...) I got a little sister, and dad lost his hemi and his bee. (He sold a brand new Hemi Block in like 1991... We cry sometimes over it, when I was old enough to realize what happened, I asked if we could trade my sister to get the block back. ANYWAY. That's how we wound up with the Trans. Like I said, I still have contact with the original buyer so we can verify anything needed. Will pictures help? OH and there is an original Direct Connection gasket set dad grabbed in the 70's for it, that comes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back