Space around my fan shroud?

-

LIME TWIST DART

Reaction score
I have a semi-custom Be Cool radiator that is notched so that it sits down between the frame rails, but is wider above the rails. The core is 24"w x 18"H.
I found a good price on a SPAL 30102052 11’’ Dual Fan, pictured below. It is just over 23 1/2" W x a little over 16" tall. It's a puller with approx. 2,700 cfm.
Is it a real concern that the core will be a 1/4" wider on each side as well as about 7/8" taller top and bottom? Do you really need a shroud that comes edge to edge? I'm sure it would be more ideal, but is it a big deal?
-Thanks

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJEkFI+OI+rJNBSSZb0c)h!~~60_12.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 309
Im with you they work best wall to wall but I dont think the 1/4 inch is gonna hurt.

Im with you they work best wall to wall but I dont think the 1/4 inch is gonna hurt.

Agreed. I'm not so concerned about being 1/2" short side to side, 1/4" short per side when centered. I'm more concerned that I'm losing out on being 1 3/4" short on height, 7/8" top and bottom when centered. My math shows that it would still cover 90% of the core surface.

Have you considered using a Ford Taurus fan?

The shroud measures 24" x 16.7" according to the drawings I can find. It's a single fan, but has 2 speeds. Moves over 3500 cfm on the upper speed. Dorman #620-101. Usually sells for less than $100 new. Plus, if you ever have any issues with it you can get parts at the local parts shop.

getimage.php

RNB-620-101_XV.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-620-101/overview/year/1994/make/ford/model/taurus

If you do a search on "taurus fan" there's a few different threads on it. I'm pretty sure it should fit a 22" radiator. I used a Ford Contour fan on my 26" champion radiator, fits like a glove...

IMG_1558_zps3b79216a.jpg

I normally wouldn't just run out and buy a part on a whim that I really hadn't put much thought into using. But, I had thought about using a modern OE replacement fan designed for whatever car with dimensions and specs that would work for me. After seeing your suggestion for the Taurus fan assembly, I did some quick reading and a glance around for the cost on one. Wouldn't you know it, there was an auction on Ebay for a new one in it's last hours. I won it this morning for $47. So, I may or may not use it. The motor is not back in the car yet and I'm concerned that the assembly is gonna be a bit too thick. The only number I could come up with last night was just shy of 5". That seems awful deep. If it works, great. If not, I'm sure I can get my money back out of it. I like the idea of a single fan, 1 motor, with 2 speeds and a high cfm of 3,800. I appreciate the suggestion. Let you guys know how it turns out.
Does this mean I will need to use the OE controller and harness designed to be used with it?

It is a pretty deep assembly. I believe its about the same as the Contour assembly though, and mine clears. It's close, I decided not to run the "nose" on my March serpentine pulley set because I only had about 1/8" from the "nose" to the fan assembly. But I also have a 3 core radiator, so that takes up some more space. I'll get a picture of mine and post it up in a bit.

As far as the controller, I'm using a Dakota Digital controller. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-pac-2750/overview/

It's a little expensive, but it can be programmed to any temperatures, will control both the high and low speeds, and can even be set up to run after you shut your car down for up to 5 minutes. I had to use two relays, but with a single fan you should be able to do it with one relay, which comes with the controller too.

The harness isn't hard to make up, you'll only need a couple of plug ends, which you can buy from RockAuto or even your local parts shop. Or you could hit up the local wrecking yard and pull one. That's what I did. I bought a new fan assembly, but I also went down to PickNPull on a 50% off weekend and found a complete set up with the harness. I modified the harness a little, but it gave me all the plugs and wiring for an easy install.

goldduster318 has a really nice write up of his installation in PDF format, but its for the Contour dual fan set up. The single fan should be even easier. You can contact him, or I could forward you a copy by email (its big) if you PM me your email. It still may help, as a lot of it will be the same.

Thanks for the info. Sent a PM your way. I won't be buying any other components for it until I can check the depth for fitment. Should be in a couple weeks. Have to drop the motor back in.

Sent you an email with the info. :D

This is what mine looks like, but like I mentioned, I've got a 26" 3 core radiator. If you have a 2 core you should have a little more space to work with.

IMG_1559_zpse3b2d10c.jpg

Sent you an email with the info. :D

This is what mine looks like, but like I mentioned, I've got a 26" 3 core radiator. If you have a 2 core you should have a little more space to work with.

IMG_1559_zpse3b2d10c.jpg

I have a 2 core, but the single fan means that the fan motor will be nose to nose with the pulley. No chance to take advantage of the added space between the 2 fans on a dual setup. I think I'm gonna be SOL on space. The more I think about it, 5" seems pretty crazy. Yours seems fairly thin, more like 3". Maybe its just the picture.
Thanks

I have a 2 core, but the single fan means that the fan motor will be nose to nose with the pulley. No chance to take advantage of the added space between the 2 fans on a dual setup. I think I'm gonna be SOL on space. The more I think about it, 5" seems pretty crazy. Yours seems fairly thin, more like 3". Maybe its just the picture.
Thanks

The Contour fan is 3.4" deep. 5" seems like too much, but the spec I keep finding is 4.85", so yeah. There are folks on this forum that say they've done it though. Looking at it, I wonder if part of that measurement is the "feet" on the shroud, which look like they stick out more. They probably need to be cut anyway, so maybe that's part of it...

-
Back