Space in trunk by the fenders - trash

-

RonnyB

'64 270 Dartvertible
Reaction score
Was there originally anything in the trunk to keep things from falling down into the spaces by the fenders?
It's amazing what you can find down there, but on the driver's side it felt like a kid's sandbox. There was a lot of dirt and little bits of stuff that falls off trees.
What can be done to keep things from going down in there?
I'm worried about dirt and water getting in there and causing some major rust.
Also, is there an easier way to clean it out? I've got a long plastic thing that goes on the vacuum cleaner, but it doesn't get down there far enough.
Thanks!

trunk.jpg

IMG_0146.JPG

Was there originally anything in the trunk to keep things from falling down into the spaces by the fenders?
It's amazing what you can find down there, but on the driver's side it felt like a kid's sandbox. There was a lot of dirt and little bits of stuff that falls off trees.
What can be done to keep things from going down in there?
I'm worried about dirt and water getting in there and causing some major rust.
Also, is there an easier way to clean it out? I've got a long plastic thing that goes on the vacuum cleaner, but it doesn't get down there far enough.
Thanks!

Pop the plug on the back, outside, under car, black plastic plug, pop it out, rince out with water, blow dry, let air out a while.
Some models had little boards there.
I use car towles!
Have a good one!8)

That's often part of the reason the quarters rust out at the bottom - dirt and crap get down there, retain moisture, and rust from the inside out. In mine, in addition to the dirt, I found old lug nuts. It was rusting through where the lug nuts were lodged.

Once you get it cleaned out it wouldn't hurt to apply some anti-rust paint or coating down in there to seal it up. There's sure to be some rust growing.

i was thinking of filling my rockers and quarters with light foam. it would keep out moisture and junk as well as help with noise. when the rocks fly up and hit it it kinda echos and that would cure that

A good seal around the trunk lid is a must.

I just finished my trunk, and floor pans; learned a lot.
If you lay under the car, at the rockers and quarters, you see that the floor/trunk connect to the body, with a wavey bend about every 8".
That's for water to exit, but road spray fills them up. Get a welding rod, and poke in them, using vac and air pressure, from the inside,- you will make your car 4# lighter, and rust problems go away.

Thank you so much for letting me know! I've only been working on the passenger side, but it was completely full. Never thought to check for the plastic plug. That explains the rust there.
Started with a vacuum cleaner hose, but then just pounded the fender - got a small mountain of debris. A whisk broom moved a lot of the loose stuff around, but I can stick my finger in the hole and feel the dirt packed in there. Going to use the welding rod method and compressed air tomorrow.
I'm concerned about using water to rinse it, because I don't think I can get all the packed-in dirt out.

The trunk lid seal is falling apart. I have a new one, but have been thinking about having the car painted. Can I just push the new seal on without using adhesive, or will it keep coming off?

-
Back