spare tire and jack placement

-

greg

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the proper way to secure the jack and spare in the trunk of a 1968 Dart?

Here is the jack:
MVC-003S.jpg

that aint right either. The spring hooks around the tire tool and draws it up against the underside of the loop on the floor pan. This keeps the tire tool from rattling/moving.
If you have a radial spare it wont fit in the well where a poly cord tire went.

I used my magnifying glass and looked at my original decal just now and I was wrong again (hate that) and I looked at this decal before installing my jack, without my glasses of course.

MVC-013S.jpg

MVC-014S.jpg

I know the newer tires will not fit in the spare tire well on our old A-bodies, but what do you do when you get a flat while on a road trip? I plan on using big radials on my '68 'Cuda, which would negate carrying a spare. What are the options? Fix-A-Flat; AAA?

There is a space saver or temporary spare mounted high behind the back seat of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury - town Car, Crown Vic, Grand Marque that will fit right in there. Requires 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern though.

Thanks guys. There is anopther piece thought that fits on the jack and actually hooks on the bumper to do the lifting. Where does that mount?

That is not the factory look.......... That is the factory brochure look. Big difference.

Even with a factory wheel and tire, you will not get the trunk floor flat like in that photo.

Know what you mean about the spare tire missing to give the appearence of a flat floor, but I know for sure the jack placement is correct.

Or is it just a conspiracy knowing that 43 years later somebody would ask a question about a jack.

Well if you look real good at the 2nd pic of the decal I posted you can see part of the word "Hook" and it goes under the base.

I think I know "Jack" pretty good now.

What a lesson to learn this late in life.

Now that I have turned my attention to the trunk again and thinking I want my floor to look flat like it should, so I will try putting it all together and see what it looks like. Funny I was assuming that it would look just fine and now I got a feeling it will need some more of my attention.

These cars seem to be a major attention *****! LOL

-
Back