Spare tire, GTS or Formula-S

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the GTS or Formula-S cars came with a 5.5 inch wheel as a spare or did they just come with the 4.5" wheel? I can`t get a 5.5" wheel and tire to fit the spare opening correct with all of the hardware attaching correctly.

you have anything similar to the OEM bias ply tire ? A wide tread radial tire wont fit for any of us. :(
Those space saver spares were as more about fitting the pre existing wells than saving space as radial tires became standard equipment. LOL

you have anything similar to the OEM bias ply tire ? A wide tread radial tire wont fit for any of us. :(
Those space saver spares were as more about fitting the pre existing wells than saving space as radial tires became standard equipment. LOL

Yes, I`m using an original E/70-14 bias ply redline. The tire fits the well but it sticks way out and I can`t get any of the hardware to fit with the length of the bolt. It seems if I had a 4.5" rim it would fit great.

Have you tried putting the wheel in facing down? Makes it a pain to check the air but it should move the wheel center closer to the floor. I've had cars in the past where that was the only way to make the spare fit.

Have you tried putting the wheel in facing down? Makes it a pain to check the air but it should move the wheel center closer to the floor. I've had cars in the past where that was the only way to make the spare fit.

Yeah , I think that`s the way the manual shows it in there. While we`re on the spare tire/ jack subject, does the spring that holds tension on the jack (when in place) go around the lug wrench then to the jack or around the loop that`s welded to the trunk floor? The diagram on the trunk lid makes it look like it goes through the lug wrench????

I have been told that all 340 and 383 cars came with 5.5 inch rims The original spare is still in the trunk of my 340 swinger is 5.5 inch and sticks up. Unfortunately I threw the original rims out 25 yrs ago and am looking for another set.I was also told that cars with the trailer towing pkg also had the 5.5 inch rims. Steve

The tire tool goes through the loop on floor and the spring goes around the trie tool to lift it and prevent a rattle noise. Other end of spring on jack and a few clicks upward to tighten. :)

The tire tool goes through the loop on floor and the spring goes around the trie tool to lift it and prevent a rattle noise. Other end of spring on jack and a few clicks upward to tighten. :)

Okay, so the loop of the spring does not go around the shaft of the tire iron but around the hook of the trunk floor.???

NO the spring goes around the tire iron and behind the floor loop to keep the spring from sliding forward.

-
Back