Spare tire pic ?

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Anybody have a pic of the correct way/factory way to secure the spare tire with the jack hook and jack base in a 1970 Dart ?

Would really apreciate it.

Thanks
JD

of coarse I do.

4771173-JackSpareSurvivor1971Dem-1.jpg

Thank you Adam..........

I have the trunk (spare tire) sticker,but it is kind of hard to see where the hook goes.

Also what about the round metal ring ?

Doesnt the ring hold the thin fiberboard down ?

yes, The ring holds the board down.

So to do it this way you need the "long" bolt.

I believe there are 2 different size bolts.

The pic you showed of the green car looks like a 67-69.

Wonder if they changed in 70,because my car came with the "short" bolt.

Adam,
So the way you have your spare:
Does the jack base hold the hook to the rim ?

Still cant believe that the factory service manual doesnt even show how to secure the tire.

The first pic I believe is a 71 Demon. I think it would use a long bolt and 2 wing nuts. The first would hold the jack base down, the second would hold the board down.

I would think the base would hold the hook down but it may just be laying there. Hard to tell in a picture.

Interesting.........

Look at the first pic to the right.
The ring is there with a small wing nut.

I never noticed that, Good eye. The board would go on, then the wring and the little wing nut to hold it all together.

Got it all figured out,will post pics of my findings.

The first pic of the Demon? is wrong because the valve stem faces down,so the tire needs to flip over. Learned this from my jack sticker.

Looking through my parts bin.I found the correct "long bolt".I knew I wasnt going crazy on the 2 different bolts lol.This longer bolt is needed if you are using the ring to hold the board down.

Tire goes in.
Jack hook hooks to the rim.
Jack base goes on.
Then the wing nut.
Then the board.
Then the ring and wing nut.

The only thing I am wondering about is if you use the small wing nut like your pfirst pic ? Will have to find this out.

Will post pics later.
JD

Not trying to be argumentative, but why would you design the tire to be mounted upside down requiring complete disassembly to check the spare tire pressure??

Here are the pics of the spare tire mounting.

Also included the correct way to secure the jack,and the 2 different lenght bolts. Hope this will help someone out there.

Now it is time to get this stuff cleaned up !!!!

faucet pics 887.jpg

faucet pics 888.jpg

faucet pics 891.jpg

faucet pics 892.jpg

faucet pics 893.jpg

Thanks for the pics...

I have a question on my 71 Duster. The spare tire area doesn't have the metal "fork" to slide the bolt into. Would this mean the trunk/ spare tire pan was replaced?

Doesn't look like it from the welds and such...but I can't mount it like you guys show...so I've always wondered.

Aloha!

Thanks for the pics...

I have a question on my 71 Duster. The spare tire area doesn't have the metal "fork" to slide the bolt into. Would this mean the trunk/ spare tire pan was replaced?

Doesn't look like it from the welds and such...but I can't mount it like you guys show...so I've always wondered.

Aloha!

Wow thats interesting.

All I can think of is that the factory forgot to install it, or the tire well has been replaced.

All is correct JohnnyDart, except you need to use the small wing nut on top of the ring that retains the board. Otherwise it's "dead on balls" perfect.

George

Cool guys.......Thanks !!!!!

Kind of a cool tid-bit.The spare is actually the original Goodyear dual white stripe that came with the car. Looks like it has never been used,still showing the rubber nubs.

I have a powder coater 14" wheel I will mount it up to.

Great pix of the jack and spare tire mounting. Thanks for posting them !!

Is there a source to get the spare tire board or did you make your own?

Great pix of the jack and spare tire mounting. Thanks for posting them !!

Is there a source to get the spare tire board or did you make your own?

Different companys carry the board. The usual's Laysons,Paddock,E-bay etc....

The problem is the price of shipping on this dam thing, because it is oversized.
The board usually goes for around $15.00-$20.00. I have seen shipping on it for around $30.00-$40.00. Forget that.Thats the problem with it,same with the package tray.

Ended up getting mine at the Spring Fling. No shipping.

Here are pics of a origanal spare tire I found in a 67 dart gt I used for parts.Never removed from the tire bay,never used or mounted,and still mint with the sticker,mrmopartech

its for sale

spare tire 1.JPG

spare tire 2.JPG

For you guys with the fiberboard cover, does it lie flat against the trunk floor or is it raised slightly by the tire? If flat, what is the correct tire size to fit in the spare well? Anyone know why some cars have the full-size board and others have a smaller one (approximately 12"x12" square)?

Jerry

For you guys with the fiberboard cover, does it lie flat against the trunk floor or is it raised slightly by the tire? If flat, what is the correct tire size to fit in the spare well? Anyone know why some cars have the full-size board and others have a smaller one (approximately 12"x12" square)?

Jerry

Jerry,
It does not lay flat against the trunk floor with the original tire.
There is about a 2"-3" gap.
I will check the original spare size tomorrow. I believe it is around a 185/70-14
I'll check tomorrow.

No idea of the different size boards.Have seen them though.

If my memory serves me correctly you have been kicking this (spare tire) issue around for a while with Aarons car ?

Yep, you're right, Johnny. Since Aaron's Dart has 205-60-R15 in front and 235-60-R15 in back, there isn't a single tire size we can use for the spare that is equivalent to both. However, I was hoping to find one that is close enough to their two sizes that also would fit into the tire well (and allow the tire cover to lie flat). That's not too much to ask for, is it?

The closest I found to being what I need is a temporary donut spare off a 90-something Jeep Cherokee. Its diameter was a close average of the two tire sizes, and it is skinny enough to drop below the lip of the tire well. Now I need to find one and try it.

Thanks for the help,
Jerry

-
Back