Spare tire wheel well on 1964 Plymouth Barracuda...what size 14 inch tire fits?

-

Pa's Toy

Reaction score
Greetings all...did some poking around on the forum to see if I could get a definitive answer for this. The concern is the trunk cover sitting properly over the spare tire.....wondered if anyone has placed a 185/75/14 into the spare tire wheel well with any success....Does it:
1) fit in the space provided (across the diameter of the spare tire well
2) fit width wise such that it doesn't cause the carpet and board to rise up noticeably?

A couple of past posters thought that size might fit but there was no final verdict. Car is 1400 miles away or i'd confirm fitment myself before ordering tires....thanks all.
Greg

Tire well is made to hold original size tire only. A original size but wider does raise the cover and causes a bump in the trunk floor. Look up the diameter of the original tire and compare to the diameter of the proposed tire.

I have a 175/65/14 in mine. Looks like there's room for a larger tire.

1709588960481.jpeg

Thank you for your information....the 175/65/14 is 23 inches in diameter and 6.9 inches tall/wide...the 185/75/14 is 24.9 inches in diameter and 7.3 inches wide/tall.....looks like if there is an extra inch room diameter wise around the whole tire it should fit......does your tire sit well below the cardboard cover so the carpet is flat? With thanks.

Nor does the trunk mat sit completely flat in my 63 Valiant convertible, with a 185/75/13 tire. Hmmmm - looks like I need to clean that mat!!

1709593711207.jpeg

Nor does the trunk mat sit flat in my 67 Barracuda coupe with a 185/70/14 tire. (It might would with a 4.5 inch wheel instead of the 5.5 wheel it has in it.)

1709593842435.jpeg

I know you asked for 14” but for those with a larger tires, I use a 15” tires on my 66’ Barracuda. I found a VW tire fits on a really narrow rim and stays below the trunk floor. My tires are 24.5” diameter.
IMG_7440.jpeg

IMG_7433.jpeg

Didn't an "S" have a modification to allow a larger diameter tire in the well?

Thanks to everyone for their time and information.....from the look of the pictures there appears to be room for the diameter of the 185/75/14 tire.....that is good...didn't want to have the spare sitting on top of the carpet.....looks like I might have a bump to deal with when it is all in place.

I'll use the 14x 4.5 inch stock rim for the spare and will leave the 5.5 rallyes on the corners!

The original carpet in my 65 Barracuda (which I've owned since August of 1968) had thick jute padding on either side of the spare. Today's replacement carpet has some padding (not jute), but it is not as thick. That would doubtless make a difference in whether or not there's a bump for the spare tire and its board. But I can no longer remember whether my original trunk carpet lay flat or not. Kinda doubt it lay completely flat, but ???

I believe I still have at least one 14" small bolt pattern from a 66' Formula S I stripped out about 3 years ago.
Let me know if you would like it. Just pay shipping and to get the tire removed.... it's shredded.

Thanks so much for your offer...have several of the 14 x 4.5 rims to choose from...just refinishing the rallye wheels now to get them ready for new rubber. Cuda 340, mine is the original carpeting with the thick backing .....I agree it might be unlikely that it lays completely flat with the 185 tire....the biggest thing is to ensure it fits as there is really no room to haul it around inside the trunk proper....thanks again. Greg

Thanks so much for your offer...have several of the 14 x 4.5 rims to choose from...just refinishing the rallye wheels now to get them ready for new rubber. Cuda 340, mine is the original carpeting with the thick backing .....I agree it might be unlikely that it lays completely flat with the 185 tire....the biggest thing is to ensure it fits as there is really no room to haul it around inside the trunk proper....thanks again. Greg

-
Back