Spark plug and timing recommend

-

SBeeMan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just finished the break-in run on my 431ci 340 based stroker.
It's a Bloomer kit,12.3 compression,max ported Eddy heads(not big mouth) Victor intake,
1 7/8 TTI race headers,Pro Systems 1000 cfm carb,Lunati solid roller cam,4.30 Dana,110 race fuel.
It's a 1/8 mile bracket car.
I'm all new to the small block world lol always run big blocks in the past.
Started with Autolite AR 3911 plugs,timing @ 34 locked.
I keep reading small blocks don't like alot of timing

Well... ya know it depends upon dynamic compression or when the intake valve closes, 'still pointing to dynamic'
If you have just enough octane, 34 sounds about the most you should need and be in the ball park still. What I build ends up liking 30-34 max/full advance.
Whats it crank? What octane?

I always set my timing on a dyno but 34 is ballpark for your setup. If it's a track car and it will start, nothing wrong with having it locked.

Sorry haven't had time to reply.
I'm running 110 octane fuel. Drag only car.
Don't have cranking numbers yet.

My 408 10.1 to 1 compression motor running EQ heads liked 30 degrees best. We started at 34 on the dyno, and picked up about 12 or 14 hp going from 34 down to 30. Timing marks were set with a dial indicator, dead accurate marks. Fuel was 3 gallons of pump 93 and 2 gallons of 110 mixed in.

I have had smallblocks that liked 32 best, one that liked 40. Know of friends combo's
that ran best at 40 as well.
Current motor runs best at 35
Moral of the story, you have to play around in a couple of outings to see what it wants. Nothing is set in stone. Or play on dyno

I have had smallblocks that liked 32 best, one that liked 40. Know of friends combo's
that ran best at 40 as well.
Current motor runs best at 35
Moral of the story, you have to play around in a couple of outings to see what it wants. Nothing is set in stone. Or play on dyno

This is great advice and one of the reasons why I always dyno every combo

Unless you are class racing and have to be the fastest it really shouldn't matter if you don't have the engine dialed in for "kill" . A couple extra degrees may hurt a engine but doesn't make too much difference in et or trap speed. Build it to last. It will be fast enough as long as it's consistent.

Thanks for all the info. It's my first small block race car,been reading up on them here. Lots of smart guys on here.No dyno in my area,closest is several hours away,so I'll be tuning on track. I know I'll have to play with it and see what it wants.
Just looking for a consistent car not how fast I can make it.

I think the best dyno is the rack anyway. Too many guys say "dyno this" and "dyno that" and they turn out to be posers. The track is where it matters anyway.

I think the best dyno is the rack anyway. Too many guys say "dyno this" and "dyno that" and they turn out to be posers. The track is where it matters anyway.
Them or sometimes the numbers they get from whoever, I read with caution.
where the dynamic is will dictate which end of the scale the timing will be... but also recognize that the chamber shape will have its final say, right.
N/A small block mopar=25-34 degrees is, from my experience, the spread for me. I build to near max dynamic comp...i use that chamber for all its worth. That's just me.

But hey I guess some can or wanna build it with just enough cylinder pressure to fire and then twist it to 42 degrees.....lol

A track is a functional dyno for WOT performance.

A dyno has a lot of advantages over a track. It takes out a lot of variables and offers much more data.

My brother who passed away in 2014 use to say "You got the best dyno strapped down in the trailer"
I understand a dyno has it's advantages with the right operator.But my thought was always nothing like real world results on the track.
Are the AR 3911 plugs in the ball park?
Thanks for all the replies.

A track is a functional dyno for WOT performance.

A dyno has a lot of advantages over a track. It takes out a lot of variables and offers much more data.

....I wasn't directing that at you, btw.

But you're right. If you have access to a dyno, go for it. But most people don't. The drag strip is much more affordable.

-
Back