Spark plug gap recomendations

-

puregts

Reaction score
360/408 10.26:1 compression (actual), MSD 6AL ignition. Using Autolite 3924 plugs @ .035"
gap. I've been told to gap at 0.045 as 0.035 is too little and may cause fouling and/or poor performance. Anybody have any research or experience with this?

Using a Baster2 coil with a Mopar orange box. I’m able to run .045, no trouble, although you aren’t going to have any problems at .035, either.

.045 will give you a hotter spark than .035.
What coil are you using ?

Orange box and a generic Accel chrome coil has always been my "go to" for a long while. This one got EFI so I needed an ignition that generated a "square wave" tach signal. After 8 years the EFI wouldn't take corrections/adjustments anymore so its was unceremoniously removed. Put the 780 back on and trying to start over.

Thanks for the quick response. 0.045" it is...

Most people will never notice the difference between .035 and .045, but .035 would be less prone to blowing the spark out or forcing the spark to jump out somewhere.

360/408 10.26:1 compression (actual), MSD 6AL ignition. Using Autolite 3924 plugs @ .035"
gap. I've been told to gap at 0.045 as 0.035 is too little and may cause fouling and/or poor performance. Anybody have any research or experience with this?

I don't even bother to check the plug gap anymore. I use NGK plugs and screw them in right out of the box. They seem to always work great. I do use the OEM style plugs with the wider gap since I figure that is the modern way to go. NGK 6987 is what I use with aluminum heads.

I always check, I would rather know than not and I have found in some cases plug gaps to be be very off as if it was dropped or something.

-
Back