Spark plug issues

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
I picked up new plugs for my 440 that I just rebuilt. The plugs I got are champion RJ12YC. The problem is that my heads have a small bump just below the spark plug hole. The motor is originally out of a 1976 motorhome. Is there a special smaller diameter plug that chrysler used? The threads are the same but the part of the plug just after the threads is too big. Hopefully someone will understand what I am talking about and point me in the right direction.

Yes, those head have extra cooling around the spark plug and take a smaller diameter plug. Somebody will know the part number.

They are called peanut plugs. Just go by original application. They also fit small block chevys so very common.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was able to finally find a part number and the correct plug is a RV series not an RJ like yellow rose stated. Thanks for the help.

You can't use the C series plug where you need a V series.

The C series is a 5/8 hex 3/4 reach plug. The N series is the same, only it has a 13/16 hex.
Both have 14 mm threads.

The J series is .375 reach, 13/16 hex with a gasket to seal it.
The V series is .460 reach, 5/8 hex and a tapered seat to seal.

You can't substitute a C for a J or a J for a V. You can use a C instead of an N.

Point is, the OP needed a .460 reach tapered seat plug. That's a V in a champion.

You can't use the C series plug where you need a V series.

The C series is a 5/8 hex 3/4 reach plug. The N series is the same, only it has a 13/16 hex.
Both have 14 mm threads.

The J series is .375 reach, 13/16 hex with a gasket to seal it.
The V series is .460 reach, 5/8 hex and a tapered seat to seal.

You can't substitute a C for a J or a J for a V. You can use a C instead of an N.

Point is, the OP needed a .460 reach tapered seat plug. That's a V in a champion.

Sorry your 100% right I thought I seen 340 not 440 my apologies for any confusion caused .

-
Back