Spark Plug Question

-

Sick_Six225

72 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
72 Dodge Dart, 225, was wondering if my spark plug should look like this? The thread has a little oil on it. Not much.
20130725_091205_zps16b02a43.jpg
[/IMG]

That looks pretty darn good to me, and oil does collect like that on the threads.
My theory is that there is always a little oil in the cylinder left over after the rings scrape it down and this oil can't be burned off because it got caught in the threads.

Of course one would have to be sure it's not getting there from a valve cover leak or something, and soaking the threads when it's pulled out.
I don't see any oil above the sealing edge though.

That looks pretty darn good to me, and oil does collect like that on the threads.
My theory is that there is always a little oil in the cylinder left over after the rings scrape it down and this oil can't be burned off because it got caught in the threads.

Of course one would have to be sure it's not getting there from a valve cover leak or something, and soaking the threads when it's pulled out.
I don't see any oil above the sealing edge though.

Also If this motor has drool tubes, that could result in oil on the threads.

Looks great, but I agree the wrong spark plug if the head is actually from a 1972 engine. I have a 74 slant and it has drool tubes.

When I got this car it never had these drool tubes and to be truthful have no idea what they are. The guy I got the car from over a year ago said that the guy that had the vehicle prior put different heads on, mild cam, and a long tube header. I am unsure what kind of heads they are. The car runs great and has no problems I just wanted to ask to make sure that it was ok to have just a little bit of oil on the threads. Thanks everyone

When I got this car it never had these drool tubes and to be truthful have no idea what they are. The guy I got the car from over a year ago said that the guy that had the vehicle prior put different heads on, mild cam, and a long tube header. I am unsure what kind of heads they are. The car runs great and has no problems I just wanted to ask to make sure that it was ok to have just a little bit of oil on the threads. Thanks everyone

when you pulled the plug out was there an aluminum tube or just cast iron?

Search "drool tube" here, and I am sure you will find photos. In the early slants, the spark plugs sit in removable aluminum tubes that have an outer rubber seal that leaks oil when it gets old, hence the name. Later engines have a solid casting. Later heads are considered better, but you can't remove the lifters without removing the head, so a camshaft swap is quite involved.

-
Back