Spark plug read....

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
I was told by some who know better than me that I was running rich at high speeds and my timing was too retarded. Below is a pic of that plug read.
2018-05-22 15.46.32.jpg

I took your advice and below is a pic of my plug after stepping down the jets 4 sizes and advanced timing..
2018-05-29 17.39.18-1.jpg
2018-05-29 17.39.24-1.jpg

Better?

Better on timing. Pretty close at cruise. A touch fat at idle but you may have to live with it.

I don't think I ever said you were fat at WOT. You can't see that in a picture with the shell on, and even then a picture is hard to see it.

To read WOT once you have the rest of it close you need fresh plugs and a very good magnifying plug reader. Once you get the fuel ring down to about .100 you need to start cutting the shells off to really see where you are for tune up. And when you are that close you need a new set of plugs for every WOT if you really want to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

Last edited:
Better on timing. Pretty close at cruise. A touch fat at idle but you may have to look at it.

I don't think I ever said you were fat at WOT. You can't see that in a picture with the shell on, and even then a picture is hard to see it.

To read WOT once you have the rest of it close you need fresh plugs and a very good magnifying plug reader. Once you get the fuel ring down to about .100 you need to start cutting the shells off to really see where you are for tune up. And when you are that close you need a new set of plugs for every WOT if you really want to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

Again.. thanks for your insight. With your help and others... I can't fail...;)

BTW...if it's an NGK the heat range looks pretty close. If it's a Champion it's a skosh hot. It it's an autolite I'd have to do some research.

IMO, if you are running pump gas with ethanol, it is all but impossible to read plugs.

IMO, if you are running pump gas with ethanol, it is all but impossible to read plugs.

No it's not. I can read a plug on pump gas, race gas, E-85, methanol, blown, unblown, two stoke...what ever. It's not hard. You have to know what you are looking at.

To the OP...if it's an autolite plug I'm about 88% sure your heat range is correct.

No it's not. I can read a plug on pump gas, race gas, E-85, methanol, blown, unblown, two stoke...what ever. It's not hard. You have to know what you are looking at.

To the OP...if it's an autolite plug I'm about 88% sure your heat range is correct.

Ok.

Remember that it is probably hot out when you ran the test. A nice cool dry day in the fall and you could be pretty lean. Just to clarify the timing is determined by the ground strap, you want it about in the middle of the bend. I just use a angle grinder and cut the crimp off the plug. Then the ceramic slides out of the top.

Remember that it is probably hot out when you ran the test. A nice cool dry day in the fall and you could be pretty lean. Just to clarify the timing is determined by the ground strap, you want it about in the middle of the bend. I just use a angle grinder and cut the crimp off the plug. Then the ceramic slides out of the top.

You want the timing mark on the ground wire to be closer to the shell on pump gas. He has that pretty close. If the mark is in the bend on pump gas the timing is slow.

-
Back