Spark plug recommendation for carb'd 5.9

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Getting close to dropping in my 5.9 but have no idea about spark plugs. To just go with what's stock for a 5.9 or if there would be a better choice. Basically stock 5.9 except edelbrock airgap manifold, edelbrock 1406 carb, and doug's headers. Also I'm at 5300 ft altitude.

What would be a good choice?

Same deal here. As delivered '00, 5.9, rpm intake, 650 edel. AVS, Hooker headers @ 1-3/4, in a '79 B body.
Chrome box ignition, OE vacuum advance distributor of unknown origin. (Which has to be worked on. To much advance in it. But....)
727/3.55's, 26-1/2 tire.

I am using the stock plug. Runs fine. Just get the carb & distributor
really dialed in well. Runs well on 89 octane.

Go with the NGK V-powers or similar "regular" plug (no platinum etc.), ran them in my 360 with Magnum heads. So yes basically whatever lists as stock replacement for 5.9 Magnum, stick with NGK or Autolite brands though.

FWIW, I wasn't sure whether MileHighDart has a Magnum or a non-Magnum LA 360. They don't take the same plugs, do they, since the non-Magnum was carb'd and the Magnum was FI?

FWIW, I wasn't sure whether MileHighDart has a Magnum or a non-Magnum LA 360. They don't take the same plugs, do they, since the non-Magnum was carb'd and the Magnum was FI?

Correct, they are different (14mm on the mags, for one).
Autolite 3923 should do the trick, Mile High.

-
Back