.. spark plug recommendation ? ..

-

mopar66

Reaction score
.. just finishing up a 318 rebuild ( fresh machining / KB pistons, lunati cam, holley carb, TOTAL rebuild ) .. using a newly reconditioned set of '302' swirlport heads .. what is the best sparkplug to use for street use .. nothing fancy > just looking for a good running dependable plug that matches my set-up ... brand ?? part number ?? gap ?? .... thanks

wow you opened a can of worms! search some past threads on the subject to see how many different opinions there are, I use autolite not saying they are the best just that they work for me

i was leaning towards autolite .. what specific part number autolite are you running in your 318 .. do you have the '302' swirlport heads ?? .. thanks

I favour NGK plugs .

I've been using them almost exclusively for ~15 years ; I say 'almost' , as I've had a couple of lapses :sign10: .

In my stock-except-for-minor-ignition-upgrades 1972 318
( lighter-weight advance springs in the factory-installed distributor , 6 hG-rated vacuum advance canister , Pertronix coil , and orange box ECU ) , I gap the plugs @ .040

I've been running NGK's for a while and have had no problems with them... can't remember the part number off of the top of my head though.

Autolites are now Chinese-made trash. Champions are American-made trash. I have consistently good results with NGK number ZFR5N, see here.

Not this again.

Oh, yes, this again. Grab some popcorn; won't be long before someone starts babbling about how Mopars were engineered to use Champion plugs so they're the best, and someone else starts babbling about E3 magic Splitfire Fire Injector spark plugs, and then somebody else chimes in with "information" about fuel line magnets…if the thread rolls on long enough, sooner or later the subject of toilet paper oil filters will come up, and HHO generators...

Here's one to get everyone going, I had NGK plugs in my 67 when I changed the intake manifold and because I am a dummy, or the stupid high rise doesn't allow any tool whatsoever to get on the bolts to tighten them, take your pick, oil got into the rear cylinders and fouled the plugs.
Once I realized the problem, and fixed it I needed plugs- and no one within 30 miles had NGK plugs, one place had 3 Autolite, and one place had a few Champions.
I ended up back at the local parts store that had 8 AC Delco plugs, so I bought them because I was too friggin frustrated to wait anymore, or drive anywhere else, and I was having withdrawals for driving my car.

The skinny- with the ACs the thing starts on the first try every time now, and runs great.
I tried a few different plugs before I changed the intake and the thing would never start right up.

Go figure.

When I was running 11s I would still walk in the auto parts store and ask for plugs for a 1968 Barracuda 340. In other words….. I ran stock plugs.

I ran NGK, Champion, Autolite,…….. In my opinion the NGKs were the worst for my car (but I run them in all my other cars).

I walked into autozone and said what kinda plugs do you have for a chrysler 318 they said 4 then the prices I took the top of the line ones wich were autolite they ran a full season and worked great

I'm feeling kinda rambunctious so I think I'll just go and throw this name out there; BOSCH. (not that I like 'em or anything just wondering if anybody would have a coronary)..........{hehehe}.........(...really, I wouldn't do something like mention the word "platinum" just to get everybody all in a cold-sweat.....{oh shucks I just did}...... LOL.......
Hey if you run a set of plugs from 1972 that you bought on line from some stockpile leftover after the demise of the former USSR it's alright with me. As long as they work for you is all that matters. I do like the "AC's in the mopar" guy. That guy has some cahones!! IT'S ALL GOOD! Enjoy!
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

I have tried most all standard brands (none of the gimmick plugs) and they all work the same for me. Platinum plugs will last longer but don't make any difference in the power.

If you have headers the smaller 5/8" hex of the magnum engine plugs will fit better and is what I use. Stock heat range or one colder will work fine.

I've been running Champs for the last 3 1/2 decades and have no issues with them. I did at one time switch to Autolites but the quick acceleration, IMO, was not there so back to the Champs and have been there ever since. 340 .030 MSD ingition, Mopar 509 Purple cam, 3500 stall, and Champs do there JOB..

-
Back