Spark plug/tube question's

-

bink220

bink220
Reaction score
Morning folks, just bought a slant six car, first time fooling around this style engine. Anyway, do all slant six engines have spark plug tubes?

The plugs I pulled out were Autolite 26 plugs, they have a 5/8's nut, some folks refer to this style plug as a peanut type plug. According to the local parts store along with my manual the car calls for a Champion n14y plug. The n14y plug as a 13/16 nut along with a washer on the bottom of the plug. The n14y plug will screw into the block but I cannot get a socket to fit over the plug due to no room between the head and plug. Something else the Autolite plugs I removed have a 1/2" reach, the n14y plugs have a 3/4" reach.

The car is a 67 Plymouth wagon. I'm not sure if this is the original engine.

What type/manufacture/heat range plug would be a good starting point?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bink

74 and older should all have the drool tubes. I have the peanut head on my 75. Some plugs need the washers removed to use with drool tubes. I don't know first hand what plugs you need or diff socket size, but here's a thread showing the 2 head styles, plugs and discussion on removing the washers.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=245365

In addition to the slant six info here, check out slantsix.org

74 and older should all have the drool tubes. I have the peanut head on my 75. Some plugs need the washers removed to use with drool tubes. I don't know first hand what plugs you need or diff socket size, but here's a thread showing the 2 head styles, plugs and discussion on removing the washers.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=245365

In addition to the slant six info here, check out slantsix.org

Thanks, Rick

Most good sockets won't fit inside the tubes. I have a special spark plug socket that I use for the larger plugs. It's deep, has a thin wall, and there is a piece of soft foam rubber inside the socket that protects and grips the ceramic so you can pull the plug out without damaging or dropping it.

I always use Champion plugs and I do remove the washers. I have no idea if other brands are the same.

Since you don't want to tighten plugs too tight, the cheap sheet metal plug wrenches work just fine.

It sounds like you are asking "does my engine have spark plug tubes", based on the spark plug size. I think there is a 1:1 relation, but why not just compare to photos here? If you have tubes, you should probably remove them and replace the rubber gaskets (real cheap), so you don't have a "drool head" as wags refer to them. The right side of the engine can get real grubby otherwise, making spark timing adjustments a filthy job. If you do have tubes, remove the metal gaskets on the spark plugs.

all responses have been a big help, thanks. Rick

If you need the tube seals NAPA still has them part # FPG ES12794 and for a better plug try NGK ZFR5N NAPA #3459.

-
Back