spark plug???

-
Yup, even though the book says to gap them at .35". I have mine at .50" as I'm runnin Pertronix as well. You should be good.

Yes, remove the metal gasket from each plug before you install it. 0.040" gap is fine; 0.050" is not beneficial and will make problems sooner than later (read this thread for data on how quickly distributor caps fail with increased secondary voltage; any time you increase the aggregate gap the spark must jump, that is rotor-to-cap plus across the spark plug electrodes, you increase the secondary voltage).

I called Advance part house about the NGK ZFR5N and they said the "new" number is 3459. Can someone verify this please. Ok to use the 3459's? 1966 /6. Are the NGK ZFR5N hard to get or something?

Last edited:
3459 is not the "new number", it's the stock number for ZFR5N, which is the plug number. Go ahead.

Probably depends on which Pertronix. The original Ignitor still uses a ballast, so probably keep near 35 mil gap. Ignitor I & II is more like HEI (no ballast), so can probably run 50 mil and an e-core coil, but would need better plug wires (say 8 mm silicone). I expect the rotor and cap would still survive, unless they are a much poorer design than the Magnum engines used (ca 1990 to 2002). Anyone installing a turbo will likely need to reduce the gap since harder to throw a spark at higher cylinder pressure. There was a Chrysler TSB about this on the 2.4L turbo engines and I even had to do so on my 2.4L non-turbo to fix a spark miss at low speed, high throttle.

-
Back