Spark plugs in and out made easy.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
We all know how at least some of the spark plugs are hard to get at sometimes, so thought I would share one of my "Old School" tricks.
Once the plug is loose I slip a 4 inch section of 3/8 fuel line over the insulator of the plug and finish taking it out by hand.
Putting them back in is where this fuel line trick is really nice.
It lets you get the plug started easily and the fuel line will slip before any misalignment can damage threads in the head. (I never start a plug into the head with a socket)
It also gives more room to see where the plug is going AND keeps it from being dropped and damaged while manipulating it around head pipes with your fingers.
The rubber line also gives enough to make a minor curve around a pipe or heat shield.

5 and 7 on a small block with headers are the worst !

I can get a plug socket on both of them, but the socket binds against the #5 header tube before the plug is out.
This trick was the solution to get 5&7 both in and out without dropping the plug or having to worry about not being straight with the threads doing it.
Some day when you need to pop 5 and/or 7 loose and try the fuel line trick and it's a TON easier.

I can get a plug socket on both of them, but the socket binds against the #5 header tube before the plug is out.
This trick was the solution to get 5&7 both in and out without dropping the plug or having to worry about not being straight with the threads doing it.
Some day when you need to pop 5 and/or 7 loose and try the fuel line trick and it's a TON easier.
Certainly will try it! Thanks.

I have a bunch of GM spark plug boots cut from old wire sets that work great too !!

Champion spark plugs actually makes a rubber tool that is about a foot long or so, kinda cool with there logo on it, one time I was at a trade show in Vegas and brought a handful back for the boys in the shop, when I went through customs at the airport and they X-rayed my bag all the customs people were looking at the screen so I popped my head around to see what they were looking at...looked like a bag of dynamite, I had to explain, lol, but same Idea as the fuel line which I also have used for years, works great! good tip

Champion spark plugs actually makes a rubber tool that is about a foot long or so, kinda cool with there logo on it, one time I was at a trade show in Vegas and brought a handful back for the boys in the shop, when I went through customs at the airport and they X-rayed my bag all the customs people were looking at the screen so I popped my head around to see what they were looking at...looked like a bag of dynamite, I had to explain, lol, but same Idea as the fuel line which I also have used for years, works great! good tip
if things really tight, make sure the rubber hose is straight, its possible to cross thread an alum head w/ a bent piece of hose. ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

5 & 7? I don't know what you guys are talk'n about........??????????....
:D
DSCN0843.JPG

Last edited:
I have those exact same headers and that #5 plug is almost worse to get than the #7.
Putting the plug socket on the plug and then sticking the extension between the pipe and head works, but using the fuel line putting that plug back in without dropping it is nice.
This is what I use , you have to take the rubber or foam protector out of the center of the socket to get it over the plug.

003.jpg

I had a 440 (500) in a 68 Dart. - I cut a hole, in the inner fender, with a hole saw to get at a plug. -- I believe it was #6. -- Had TTI Headers.

-
Back