Spark plugs

-

BBBCUDA

Reaction score
I haven't fooled with a BB Mopar in a while, and as I get closer to putting my lo-buck 383 into my 67 Barracuda, I realized I need to find out what plugs are appropriate. My big concern is, not hitting the piston!

To help you fellas help me to pick a plug, the engine specs are: .030" 383, 9.8:1 comp, (calculated). Closed chamber heads, (milled to 75 cc's). Flat top, NO valve relief pistons, .020" negative deck. Peeking through a plug hole, the pistons appear quite cozy with the plug hole. What say ye? I have had good luck with Autolites if that matters. Thanks.

I ran Accel U-groove plugs in my 383 yrs ago and the motor ran very well with them. If you have a 383 and headers you will like these (shorty) plugs. I installed them after running other plugs in the 383 and never looked back.

NGK or Autolites...but you said you did not like the later one...

Nope, I DO like Autolites! I spoke with one of the guys who participated in the last Amsoil engine buildoffs, and he says there is much more clearance than it appears. Just don't go for any "extended reach" plugs. Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Nope, I DO like Autolites! I spoke with one of the guys who participated in the last Amsoil engine buildoffs, and he says there is much more clearance than it appears. Just don't go for any "extended reach" plugs. Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.
I had to go with the extended reach ones....eddy's and 440 Stealth heads use them....I stayed with the NGKs

If you feel that clearance is an issue you can always index the plugs just for peace of mind.
Ted

I won't use anything other than Autolites in ANY car or truck I own. I've been using them exclusively since 1983, and never had an issue, even with some very high performance engines, street or strip, GM or Mopar.
Good Luck!

George

-
Back