Speakin' of 440 fuel economy.

-
If spending money on the build saved me money on fuel, it might make sense was kinda my idea.

Mega Squirt is by far the most reasonable controller, as long as you have the know how to deal with it. But they have a forum that is loaded with very helpful folks so.....You still have to contend with the expense of the intake, which to buy one otc for a BBM they are around $700.....but you could always build your own. There is a member on here Turbofreek, I believe, that just epoxied the injector bungs into the runners. Keep in mind that with a dry manifold all of the single/dual place non-sense does not apply. EFI also likes slightly different cam profiles than a karbonator, so if you build a motor for a karbonator then switch to EFI later the cam will not be optimal.

I run a machine and welding shop so manifold is cake.

Don't like the expense and complication of EFI but I know that's where it's at...and a TQuad isn't super simple anyway.

Here is a sad state of affairs on 35 years of "Emissions" and so-called "Fuel Economy" improvements....
This is my wife's Car, UN-restored.... with just one repaint in 1984 that you see here.

I checked the fuel economy driving it really nicely.....like 60 mph on the highway for 2+ hours....no passing, but lotsa "thumbs up" from passers by.....then around town a few times over a week or so.
The total miles on the odometer combined were 192 miles... about 125 hwy and about another 65 or so around here toodling, not hwy but slow around to the store, visiting, cruising, and warm up time each day from Cold.....refilled it again and it took 45.2 Litres(Canada)
If my math is coprrect ??
Divide that by "4" equals about 11.5 Gallons U.S., or about 16.7 MpG ????
I was pretty shocked ??
That....
seems to be as good, or better, than my 2012 Chev Silverado with the 4.8L V8 !!!!

UN-restored, never rebuilt(as in it has never out of the Car), numbers original 375hp 440 Magnum with Points & Condenser Ignition.
16.7 Miles per Gallon Combined !!
And it still goes pretty darn good.... when required !
So much for all of todays technology ?

My point being....I think some of the factory big engine combinations...were actually just not that terrible for fuel economy...if "driven" sanely ??
ChargerRTSE003_zpsbc4e834e.jpg

ChargerRTSE005_zps42ac28f4.jpg

-
Back