Speaking of air cleaners…

-
Funny, 95% of the people wont know the damn difference. If you haven't even seen one that what's the odds of someone else you run into seeing one. Just make one and save some money.

You can see from those photos the sheet metal is stamped inward with a decent radius. On air cleaners with snorkels this area is stamped outward and is mostly square or a very tight radius.

I suppose a person could cut the flange off smooth and then figure out how to form the inward flange with the radius. Doing this would make the ovals larger but it probably wouldn't be noticeable to the untrained eye. Might be worth a shot to give it a try.

Post up if you figure out the process!

Would it matter which way the flange came out if you could get the snorkel out cleanly??? I would just remove the snorkel and leave the flange as is as long as there are no sharp edges to cut yourself on....

Would it matter which way the flange came out if you could get the snorkel out cleanly??? I would just remove the snorkel and leave the flange as is as long as there are no sharp edges to cut yourself on....

I guess it just depends on how much you want it to look like the real deal. I think the op wants the look of the real 70-71 air cleaner without having to spend big money on the real thing.

Here's a picture of the inside of a snorkel air cleaner for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 118
And another with snorkel attached... I hope the pictures help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 118

Or maybe cut out the flange, slit some plastic tubing and cover the edge?

I guess it just depends on how much you want it to look like the real deal. I think the op wants the look of the real 70-71 air cleaner without having to spend big money on the real thing.

But, if you spend more time and effort to make it look exactly like the original, then it may be worth it to bite the bullet and pay for an original. #-o

If you don't want to spend the money for the right one, sometimes you have to settle for "close".... :???:

I'd like to clone a Hemi Cuda for $25, but it's not possible....

You get what you pay for, sometimes it's better to pay for the quality...

But, if you spend more time and effort to make it look exactly like the original, then it may be worth it to bite the bullet and pay for an original. #-o

If you don't want to spend the money for the right one, sometimes you have to settle for "close".... :???:

I'd like to clone a Hemi Cuda for $25, but it's not possible....

You get what you pay for, sometimes it's better to pay for the quality...

I can't argue with that. I think a persons would get a lot of time wrapped up into the modifications and it wouldn't be exact. I guess it comes down to how much do you value your time and how much time you have. Having the tools and skill to do it is another factor.

I hope the pictures I provided help people decide.

Okay, so I don't know if this is a really dumb idea… LOL, but why couldn't I find a common air cleaner and clone it into a 1970 "340" air cleaner? I mean couldn't I cut off the air horn (or both of them) and get somewhat of a similar looking air cleaner?

Have any of you done something like this ? I'm not thinking for show quality, but just a decent looking, functional part.

I've done it and its not 100% correct clone but all I ever here is you have one of those expensive air cleaners, I just laugh and show them its not real.... And they all say I'd have never know if you wouldn't have showed me. I'm happy with mine and I have about $30 in it minus the pie tin here is a pic not close up just of my engine bay. I made my openings bigger for more air flow

Attachments

• 411550_4395466215507_1215888324_o.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 115
I've done it and its not 100% correct clone but all I ever here is you have one of those expensive air cleaners, I just laugh and show them its not real.... And they all say I'd have never know if you wouldn't have showed me. I'm happy with mine and I have about $30 in it minus the pie tin here is a pic not close up just of my engine bay. I made my openings bigger for more air flow

That's all the OP needs... :cheers:

It 's fine... :D

Why make things more complicated than they need to be??? :???:

Here is another one we did with a 318 4bbl pie tin on a friends 71 duster twister

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9213.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 113
To make the holes the same shape and radius,as original make a buck out of a pine 2x4 that fits the inside radius of the air cleaner. Make a cutout in the pine the same shape and radius that the sheetmetal cutout needs to be.

Make your cutouts in the air cleaner housing smaller than they need to be, clamp your pine buck to the inside of the air cleaner behind your cutout. Using the round end of a ball pein hammer, and a small autobody hammer tap the cutout to fit against the rounded cutout in the pine buck.

Once everything is shaped, trim the excess back to a smooth shape, the internal baffles look pretty easy. Grab another air cleaner base, and cut them out of this one, and tack weld em.into place.

This is how i would do it

Hope this helps.
Matt

To make the holes the same shape and radius,as original make a buck out of a pine 2x4 that fits the inside radius of the air cleaner. Make a cutout in the pine the same shape and radius that the sheetmetal cutout needs to be.

Make your cutouts in the air cleaner housing smaller than they need to be, clamp your pine buck to the inside of the air cleaner behind your cutout. Using the round end of a ball pein hammer, and a small autobody hammer tap the cutout to fit against the rounded cutout in the pine buck.

Once everything is shaped, trim the excess back to a smooth shape, the internal baffles look pretty easy. Grab another air cleaner base, and cut them out of this one, and tack weld em.into place.

Hope this helps.
Matt

Matt's good with metal working. Check out his home made furniture thread...

Nice! This is exactly what I had in mind in my original post. It certainly makes a nice touch in your engine bay! Do you know what the air cleaner that you used came from originally?

Hope this helps.
Matt

This is the way to do it, just find any 4 barrel air cleaner the same diameter and go at it.

Matt's good with metal working. Check out his home made furniture thread...

I think ya got the wrong Matt. I believe youngun2.0 is the furniture guy.

I do good work w sheetmetal though. Check out the pix of ny project. Air cleaners are pretty thin metal. You need a form to stretch and roll the lip against. This is,why i recommended the pine. I would make the inlet opening in the pine buck the same size,and shape, then work the smaller cutout over it.

Although whatever the dgswinger did to make theirs looks great. I would not know the difference.

Matt

-
Back