Speaking of air cleaners…

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Okay, so I don't know if this is a really dumb idea… LOL, but why couldn't I find a common air cleaner and clone it into a 1970 "340" air cleaner? I mean couldn't I cut off the air horn (or both of them) and get somewhat of a similar looking air cleaner?

Have any of you done something like this ? I'm not thinking for show quality, but just a decent looking, functional part.

Any standard air cleaner from that period, 70's, is the same. Single snorkel would work but the nicely radius cut outs and the air baffle are the hard parts.

Yes, but those are too valuable. Common 70's 383, 400 and 360 single snorkel air cleaners would be cheap.

If you take the snorkel tube off do you just leave the hole open then?

If anyone has one of those 'illusive' air cleaners at their disposal, sure would be nice to see some pictures, the only ones I've seen are pictures of engine bays, with no real detail on the air cleaner itself.

Also, would a person then be able to use the pie tin, or would you use the sticker for the 340 call-out?

Sorry, I've never seen one of these in person..

Lol, that's the one I have saved in my "watch list". I don't know if it is or not, I contaacted the seller, he doesn't know if it will accept a "pie tin" or not.

It sure "looks" like it would do the tin!
I'm curious on the hole. Would you just leave it open or dress it out some how?

Not trying to talk you into it.
But if it takes the same filter as a '72 RR, just maybe........

Attachments

• Cleaner.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 321
About halfway down the page might be some pics of what you're looking for, http://nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

Um... Wow, That's a lot of info on Mopar air cleaners! Thanks for the link!

Anybody else willing to share their ideas? As far as removing the air horns on a common Mopar air cleaner, I'm not sure how to finish off the oval holes that will be left remaining after the amputation. I'm familiar with working with metal, so I think I can try some different things to eliminate the raw edge at the cut-out location.

Remember the original 71 340 dual oval air cleaner is restrictive. I picked up almost two tenths and a warm 360. If you use a taller air filter it will raise the lid so you get more air.

It sure "looks" like it would do the tin!
I'm curious on the hole. Would you just leave it open or dress it out some how?

I would dress it out. I don't think you would ever pass it off as original but would be better than a single snorkel. If you have the same air filter and the right size hole in the base it should work. I think the tins would fit unless the air cleaner is 67 or earlier or smaller, like a 318.

You can see from those photos the sheet metal is stamped inward with a decent radius. On air cleaners with snorkels this area is stamped outward and is mostly square or a very tight radius.

I suppose a person could cut the flange off smooth and then figure out how to form the inward flange with the radius. Doing this would make the ovals larger but it probably wouldn't be noticeable to the untrained eye. Might be worth a shot to give it a try.

Post up if you figure out the process!

Great info with pics and link for the favorites bank. Thanks y'all.

-
Back