Special friction coating on Pistons and many other parts including bearings

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son started putting friction coating on parts. Expensive but better then Moly. It gets impregnated into the metal using a blasting method. Used on many race motors by race teams. Most shops do moly coating due to the cost of this material. He told me this stuff is a new material and cost close to $600 for 5 lbs. Guys with deep pockets want this stuff. I may sneak some on some of my tractor motor parts when he is at his day job.

Its a lighter gray then moly but is much better as per the manufacture of both. Just more then twice the cost. Friction is the killer all motors

The picture below you can see the moly coating wears off . This was one season. The new coating is applied after the moly is totally removed.

He told me it will be put on sides of lifters , valves, bearings and any where there is friction in a motor. Did you ever see those motors that have an additive in oil that run at shows with no oil for days. This is the additive in the oil. Just impregnated as a coating into the metal.

I can't wait until this motor comes back to freshen again and see if it works.

106_0227.JPG

106_0228.JPG

106_0229.JPG

106_0230.JPG

Try lacquer thinner on that Speed pro piston and see if the factory applied coating "falls off". The coating "Jason" uses here needs to be baked on.

Last edited:
Like your sense of humour. keep me in the loop please as it will be interesting to see if there is a difference and/or worth the cost difference. Thank you

Put them on a lifter and it may not turn them. Eventually those still born lifters will fail. What happened to shubeck solid ceramic coated lifters?

This stuff is a dry lubricant. I am sure none of you except the couple that PM'd me know about it. It is not a coating as per say. It impregnates the metal. No thinner does not remove it. once it on its there for life. It does not come off like the moly coating you see on those pistons that wore. It can be rubbed into bearings. cam journals, valves. Gears in the trans and rears. no friction. I was surprised a member on here knew what it is. He new as soon as I mentioned $600 for 5 lbs. This stuff is very expensive. You will not find it on parts being sold.

What I can tell you if you put it on the tops of the pistons nothing sticks. They look like new after a season just wiping them off. I promised my son I would mention the name on a forum. I'll keep my word. If you are serious when building a engine, High dollar engine shops know about it. They will apply it but they won't tell you what it is. It was bought for a motor that is being built here for this season. We'll see how it works. I'll post the results . I am a little optimistic on some of the applications. But like I said we'll see.

The pistons you see that coating on it does not come off I tried. It was put on dry with 110 lbs of air pressure. We are trying it on this motor first. Dave and I were sitting here with my son after moving machines around. He was telling us about the product. Some pretty serious stuff.

It's not new, or unusual, or "unknown". Used in jet engines for 40 years or so. Seen it used on pistons and a few other i.c. engine parts for quite some time. Kind of expensive for a non-racing engine though. Google "Dry Film Lubricants" or "Fluoropolymer coatings" and you'll find dozens of companies that do it. I have one 5 minutes from here.

-
Back