speed kills

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8BkIgp9Fo"]DOE Road Safety "Classroom" - YouTube[/ame]

Remember the gore movies of the '50's? Like "Signal 30?" "Studies" claimed they didn't scare anybody, nor most important, change their habits

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MGKBD4BA6E"]Signal 30 Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

This USED to be a 55-56 Ferd. 'Cept it did not start out to be a convertible, the "jaws of life" hadn't been invented yet. The roof came off in the wreck

Attachments

• ford1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 171
  • ford2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 171
  • ford3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 181
  • ford4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 183
  • ford5.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 179
I watched those videos during driving school 8 years ago. Probably still show them in some places. They didn't work for me I know that. Only thing that made me slow down was living one of those horror stories.

I still do dumb things in cars but you wolnt see me driving over 100 unless it's on a track and even then the accident is still on my mind.

For me, there is way WAY too much emphasis by officials on speeding. "In this area" you CAN'T speed for very far or very fast, there's simply too much traffic. the point? It's not speed per se that is causing accidents

It's distracted driving

bully driving......."I can run that stop light because I'm a big shot"

tailgating

doing **** without signals or warning.......switching lanes or turns

any all and more, and I'll admit speed makes things worse, but around here, it is not THE factor.

For me, there is way WAY too much emphasis by officials on speeding. "In this area" you CAN'T speed for very far or very fast, there's simply too much traffic. the point? It's not speed per se that is causing accidents

It's distracted driving

bully driving......."I can run that stop light because I'm a big shot"

tailgating

doing **** without signals or warning.......switching lanes or turns

any all and more, and I'll admit speed makes things worse, but around here, it is not THE factor.

Yup, pretty much 100% true. I don't fly around like I used to. Hell, don't have a vehicle that would hit the 170+ that my old GSXR would. Have been in a few wrecks, none my fault....and all of them were caused by distracted driving....or just flat out stupidity. You can't make a turn into a neighbor hood at 45mph on a snow covered road...just aint gonna happen...

I have written off 3 cars and been in a few more accidents in my 40 years of driving. Not once was I speeding and only the minor accidents (less than $500) damage were my fault. I almost killed myself in my first accident, (rolled my first 340 Demon over a cliff), trying to avoid an idiot that backed out of his driveway which was just over a blind knoll. I do still drive fast to this day, but I haven't even had a close call driving fast.

Jack

Remember it's not a matter of "if" but "when" :burnout:

When accidents happen the risk for Injury goes up big time when your really cooking. I've been run off the road and into ditched and been in cars where we hit trees going the speed limit. If we were going faster then we would have at least been seriously hurt.

I agree that distracted drivers causes the most accidents but the shock propaganda was not not about what caused the accident. It is about the result.

In my friends case speed was the fetal factor. If he would have wrecked he was going the speed limit then nothing would have happened. If he was doing the speed limit and something did happen then he would probably be in rough shape. It was a stupid thing to do but now you know where I'm coming from.

-
Back