Speedmaster 1.6 rockers

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Browsing the old interweb today and looked at Speedmasters 1.6 stainless roller rockers. Wondering what your opinion is on running these on a daily driver. I know I should have went with a little more cam now, but hoping the extra lift of the 1.6 Rocker might help. Motor is a 360, 8.4 compression, 420" 444" hyd cam, Indys reman heads,2.02"s bowls and ports cleaned up, headers, EDDY RPMintake, Quickfuel600 Slayer, and HEI. It's in my daily beater farm truck,off roader. Probably never see much more then 5000 rpm. Wondering if these rockers would be a wise upgrade over the stock 30yo rockers. Thinking about spending the money on B3s kit just to keep everything happy under the valve covers. Never ran aftermarket rockers on a mopar, and wanted to see if you guys think the 1.6 would be an improvement and what changes need to be made to run them. Thanks
$_1.JPG

Call Mike at B3 and ask him about them. They LOOK like PRW's and they probably all come off the same factory production line.

The issue may be the machining quality AFTER they are made. I'd bet Mike will know.

Yeah there's about 4 different companies selling what appears to be the same rockers. About $210 for the set I was looking at. They've got bushed bores, I'm not to fond of the needle bearings on the shaft. Was gonna callb3 tomorrow and see what info they need for the spacer kit.

Will definitely mellow out high duration cam at idle.
Did the swap on bigblock had to retard timing to get the idle back but boy the rpm ramp was a big difference.
Instant cam change. Without the hassle. Giving up choppy idle for quicker rev, easy decision for me.

Spend good money the first time and buy Hughes, Comp, Harland Sharp, etc. The Hughes I bought fit spot on my 340 and same for my dads 440.

Spend good money the first time and buy Hughes, Comp, Harland Sharp, etc. The Hughes I bought fit spot on my 340 and same for my dads 440.

Before I spent money on those rockers I'd buy the Norris rockers if I thought the PRW rockers were no good. I run PRW rockers and there is nothing wrong with them.

What springs are you running with the PRWs? You spinning alo t of rpm?

I believe Speedmaster is Procomp. not PRW.

IQ52 (Jim Laroy) and Mike Liston (MRL) can tell you all about them. I don't think it's good, either.

What springs are you running with the PRWs? You spinning alo t of rpm?

140 on the seat 350ish over the nose, 7200 RPM shift.

If the geometry is correct, it's hard to break a rocker. Sadly, very few (and I mean damn few) have the geometry correct. A centered sweep that is .080 wide is not good. Most people call that bitching good but it's not.

That's why I'm gonna call B3 and try to correct the geometry. Hopefully they're ok to run on a mild motor that doesn't spin alo t of rpms with moderate spring pressures

That's why I'm gonna call B3 and try to correct the geometry. Hopefully they're ok to run on a mild motor that doesn't spin alo t of rpms with moderate spring pressures

Good idea.

Ask him and see what he says about them. Then post it here so we all know.

I would be interested to hear what they say as well. i have these same rockers (were on the car when i purchased it last year). they are the same exact set but stamped with brand CQER. this year is suspension build and paint, next year will be engine rebuild since i have no clue what the previous owner put inside it. I know it has speedmaster heads, these rollers. other then that, its a mystery.....LOL

I recently bought a set of these on eBay because they were $150 (1.5:1). I'm thinking of using them on my mild Street 408. They have bushings not needle bearings, and when I tested fitted them on a set of heads the geometry looks pretty good. I've heard people have used on race motors with no issues. When you consider these as a replacement for the stock stamped steel rockers these would be a good upgrade but I personally wouldn't but them on a high hp setup

I suspect they are not the same as PRW because they have a different hold down . Most of the failures I've heard about with the PRW are to do with the shafts themselves. Early on they didn't have a hard enough shaft and I ate a pair of them which caused the bushings to go , lucky for me mine came from a reputable builder with a good relationship with PRW because I was sent a whole new setup from PRW .The new set are indeed stamped with the PRW logo and I will be installing a geometry correction kit as soon as it arrives which will increase the longevity .
PS I put 25k miles on a 520hp sb stroker before mine were toast and if you actually take the time to read what B3 has to say about roller rockers you will find these have better geometry out of the box than several of the high doller units .

Ran a set of the speedmaster in my 73 Duster for a year and half, bracket raced the car also. Cam was a Hughes 3037 with l.6 rockers on Stock eddy heads and springs. The engine is now on an engine stand awaiting its next assignment. I pulled several rockers off and everything looks good.
Only thing I found wrong was the bolts were too long for the Eddy heads, so I used a different set of hold down and bolts.

IMG_1446.JPG

I suspect they are not the same as PRW because they have a different hold down . Most of the failures I've heard about with the PRW are to do with the shafts themselves. Early on they didn't have a hard enough shaft and I ate a pair of them which caused the bushings to go , lucky for me mine came from a reputable builder with a good relationship with PRW because I was sent a whole new setup from PRW .The new set are indeed stamped with the PRW logo and I will be installing a geometry correction kit as soon as it arrives which will increase the longevity .
PS I put 25k miles on a 520hp sb stroker before mine were toast and if you actually take the time to read what B3 has to say about roller rockers you will find these have better geometry out of the box than several of the high doller units .

Without spending several hours on the phone, I'd bet those rockers all come off the same production line. Just like connections rods, there just isn't that many companies making the stuff. Obviously, the hold downs are much more simple to make. But I'd bet the rockers are the same exact rockers as the PRW rockers.

I'm pretty sure that rocker will live with 280 on the seat fairly well if the geometry is correct. I've run ductile iron rockers with 300 on the seat. They don't break either.

My bro put a set on a motor and when we measure the cam lift and the valve lift we don't get 1.6 ratio. More like 1.44

Interesting , was that with a solid lifter ? If not how do you keep the hydraulic lifter pumped up while taking the measurement ? I ask because I would like to take that measurement as well .

Your probably right Rose but then there might subtle differences such as the bushing being spiral or 1 piece instead of 2 etc...I just noticed the blue hold downs are different from my dark gray /black ones and I see yours are light grey /bare aluminum looking , or are those the B3 hold downs ?

I've seen the PRW's and they are different for the Speedmasters, but they are both blatant copies of Comp Cams magnum rockers.

IMO PRW are J.U. N. K. The ones I bought from Hughes engines dont set flush on the valve stem. Thought it might be the stud being bent possibly. Tried them on a different engine with the same result.

Ran a set of the speedmaster in my 73 Duster for a year and half, bracket raced the car also. Cam was a Hughes 3037 with l.6 rockers on Stock eddy heads and springs. The engine is now on an engine stand awaiting its next assignment. I pulled several rockers off and everything looks good.
Only thing I found wrong was the bolts were too long for the Eddy heads, so I used a different set of hold down and bolts.

View attachment 1715018289
sounds like they are working great for you, how was the geometry and how are the adjusters holding up. would you buy them again.
I value your opinion greatly, as you show the slips and don't bullshit.

sounds like they are working great for you, how was the geometry and how are the adjusters holding up. would you buy them again.
I value your opinion greatly, as you show the slips and don't bullshit.

thanks ..but right now i don't have time to take a second look at them, the rocker shafts are backed off on that engine. We were not going to race this weekend but now we are and I have a few thing to fix on those cars, plus I have a family emergency that will take up time all next week....yes..in fact i bought a couple sets, since they were 150 bucks.

IMO PRW are J.U. N. K. The ones I bought from Hughes engines dont set flush on the valve stem. Thought it might be the stud being bent possibly. Tried them on a different engine with the same result.
This makes no sense they are a shaft mount , roller tip rocker so there is no stud to bend , you must be referring to s completely different product line .

-
Back