Speedmaster head oiling question.

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a set of Speedmaster flat tappet heads and I noticed that it mentions "oiling through rod".
My question is would I just run a set of hollow magnum push rods? Also does the raised exhaust port (+.625) effect anything other than header location, like push rod length or rocker geometry.

These would be replacing the stock 72 318 heads on my block. It currently has a 3.9700 bore on a 4" stroke with 9.3:1 cc pistons, and a comp extreme energy 218/224 cam.

Thanks
j

I'm looking into getting a set of Speedmaster flat tappet heads and I noticed that it mentions "oiling through rod".
My question is would I just run a set of hollow magnum push rods?

AFAIK and remember seeing, they oil through the head. You can oil through the pushrod if you wanted to with the correct rocker. There’s a few on the market. Comp Cams has them in a 1.5, PRW has them in a 1.5 & 1.6.

Also does the raised exhaust port (+.625) effect anything other than header location, like push rod length or rocker geometry.

No, just where the port is. No issues on rocker geometry or pushrod length.
These would be replacing the stock 72 318 heads on my block. It currently has a 3.9700 bore on a 4" stroke with 9.3:1 cc pistons, and a comp extreme energy 218/224 cam.

Thanks
j

Sounds good. What’s the lift?

Depends on what your doing….. stock pushrods may not work.
Are you sticking with the stock rockers?

I was going to run the stock 1.5 but if I could get away with a 1.6 I would be willing to run that as well... the cam I'm running has a .462/.470 lift

If you already have 1.5 rockers, use them. There isn’t enough power there to bother with.

Even if you don’t have rockers, you are better off calling Mancini and buying his replacement 273 rockers.

Using any roller tip rocker will almost always (99% of the time) require correcting the geometry. Please don’t be the guy who bolts on rockers and just skips correcting geometry.

Que everyone who will say “I run roller rockers and I didn’t check or fix my geometry and my 273 2 barrel runs 9.30’s at 140 plus MPH on 7 inch wide BFG’s. With exhaust manifolds.

BTHT.

If you already have 1.5 rockers, use them. There isn’t enough power there to bother with.

Even if you don’t have rockers, you are better off calling Mancini and buying his replacement 273 rockers.

Using any roller tip rocker will almost always (99% of the time) require correcting the geometry. Please don’t be the guy who bolts on rockers and just skips correcting geometry.

Que everyone who will say “I run roller rockers and I didn’t check or fix my geometry and my 273 2 barrel runs 9.30’s at 140 plus MPH on 7 inch wide BFG’s. With exhaust manifolds.

BTHT.
Nonsense...

He’s a bubble gummer. He doesn’t want to learn. Nothing in my post was even close to controversial. He’s trying to pick a fight. He’s a keyboard tough guy.
Hopefully people will click the link and go read it. I spoke with Mike a week ago about some W2s I’m setting up and the amount of correction they will likely need. Not only is he a super nice guy, he’s right.

Hopefully people will click the link and go read it. I spoke with Mike a week ago about some W2s I’m setting up and the amount of correction they will likely need. Not only is he a super nice guy, he’s right.
Agreed...

He’s a bubble gummer. He doesn’t want to learn. Nothing in my post was even close to controversial. He’s trying to pick a fight. He’s a keyboard tough guy.
Yes I'm so tough... lol..
Yet your calling me names over the internet...lol..
Your post was nonsense and I called it as such.. no more, no less...

What will be next... I knew nothing about geometry that I was saying that it didn't need to be corrected. I wonder how this will get twisted...

He is a super nice guy. I’m not only glad I got a chance to work with him for my wife’s engine but I’m really happy ha had and took the time just to talk like any other regular guy. Oh, funny as well!

I was going to run the stock 1.5 but if I could get away with a 1.6 I would be willing to run that as well... the cam I'm running has a .462/.470 lift

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

-
Back