Speedmaster heads for SBM

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
anybody see these on ebay. looks like an LA style casting with magnum chambers, and runners.

are these a deal for the bare head, or Junque?

Matt

Got a link,M.M.2000? Sound, like the LA bolt pattern E.Q.'s....

Got a link,M.M.2000? Sound, like the LA bolt pattern E.Q.'s....

Saw these on ebay. They are aluminum LA copies with magnum runners, and combustion chambers. Just type in mopar 318 aluminum head.

The EQ heads are total magnum copies in cast iron. Avail with either magnum intake bolt pattern, or LA series pattern.

The EQ heads are either CH318A or CH318B part number

The reason i am asking is these are $313 each as bare machined castings. Might be a good deal for a budget builder if the quality isnt crap.

Saw these on ebay. They are aluminum LA copies with magnum runners, and combustion chambers. Just type in mopar 318 aluminum head.

The EQ heads are total magnum copies in cast iron. Avail with either magnum intake bolt pattern, or LA series pattern.

The EQ heads are either CH318A or CH318B part number

The reason i am asking is these are $313 each as bare machined castings. Might be a good deal for a budget builder if the quality isnt crap.

I would bet on Pro Comp castings,almost guarantee it. They copied the Edelbrock head, LA style. I've owned a set of Edelbrock LA heads.And currently running a set of E.Q.'s,on a Magnum.Looked at a set of Magnum Edelbrock heads online,chamber is completely different.. Somethings wrong.....

So,another sb head option sounds fine to me. Might make a good street head for pump gas...

Here is the Link. Yes these would be the Procomp's

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrysler-SB-318-340-360-170cc-65ccCast-N-VJ-Bare-Aluminum-Cylinder-Head-/291041562086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c36dcde6&vxp=mtr"]Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 170cc 65CCCAST N VJ Bare Aluminum Cylinder Head | eBay[/ame]

I'm guessing buy the time you purchased all the parts, had them presure checked etc.. Then do all the machine work which I bet will be substantial on pro comps you would be ahead of the game getting eddies or RHS x or whatever

I'm guessing buy the time you purchased all the parts, had them presure checked etc.. Then do all the machine work which I bet will be substantial on pro comps you would be ahead of the game getting eddies or RHS x or whatever

They all have to be pulled apart,inspected,& done correctly. My low dollar setup,(E.Q heads,stock valves) came within 200 bones of OU812's price. An eye opener,to me.

Brian also developed a CNC program for the intake port of the RHS-X Heads, just saw this on his page.....we should get an update in a few weeks.

Michael

anybody see these on ebay. looks like an LA style casting with magnum chambers, and runners.

are these a deal for the bare head, or Junque?

Matt

So anybody else know anything about these good, bad, or otherwise, if the runners and chambers are nice, and the castings are good, wouldent a good gasket port match on the intake and exhaust side and a smoothing out of the runners without reshaping them work. I have dont this with mopar 2.2 ,turbo heads before just matched em to the intake and exhaust ports and smoothed out the runners and valve pockets.

Aluminum heads are definitely easier to do this with compared with iron heads. I wonder how much lighter than stock these are.

Matt

i kinda figured that out last night while i was surfing the net, but other than that are these a good buy? or Junque? anybody buy these and use em?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrysler-SB-318-340-360-170cc-65ccCast-N-VJ-Bare-Aluminum-Cylinder-Head-/291041562086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c36dcde6"]Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 170cc 65CCCAST N VJ Bare Aluminum Cylinder Head | eBay[/ame]

says 10 heads have been sold...

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrysler-SB-318-340-360-190cc-68cc-Full-CNC-V-J-Bare-Alum-Cylinder-Head-/301048100924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4617dd783c"]Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 190cc 68cc Full CNC V J Bare Alum Cylinder Head | eBay[/ame]

says 2 heads have sold...

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrysler-SB-318-340-360-179cc-62ccCast-N-VJ-Bare-Cast-Iron-Cylinder-Head-/301048091205?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4617dd5245"]Mopar Chrysler SB 318 340 360 179cc 62CCCAST N VJ Bare Cast Iron Cylinder Head | eBay[/ame]

shows none of the cast iron heads sold...although before they redid their website...there were a few sets sold....

Plus there are several other companies selling the Pro Comp heads on ebay ...as said by MadDart,
the Airwolf 220 heads are based on the ProComp heads....as they say...pick your parts and spend your money....

So anybody else know anything about these good, bad, or otherwise, if the runners and chambers are nice, and the castings are good, wouldent a good gasket port match on the intake and exhaust side and a smoothing out of the runners without reshaping them work. I have dont this with mopar 2.2 ,turbo heads before just matched em to the intake and exhaust ports and smoothed out the runners and valve pockets.

Aluminum heads are definitely easier to do this with compared with iron heads. I wonder how much lighter than stock these are.

Matt
I bought a set bare, then ordered the Chevy valves( they have the correct diameter stem) p/n LIBTX2021 intake, 2.02" +.100", & LIBTX1601exhaust 1.6" +.100" $8.5 per valve a

IMG_20230611_141645206.jpg

IMG_20230611_143239157.jpg
few years back. Valves are stainless steel. Nice fit. And already had a back cut on them...I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money or time on them , so I just lapped them in with valve grinding compound and install Chevy hydraulic roller cam springs....money well spent. A good bump in flow at minimum cost. I got my valves at Benning Auto and machine Columbus Ga. Phone # 706-322-8235

A good friend of mine bought a set of edelbrock heads, he took them out of the box and bolted them on his Chevy 383 stroker. He ran them for about 3 years with out any issues.

I would like too see a test on the Edelbrock out of the box vs the Speed Masters bare (with bronze guides) with just the off the shelf Chevy +.100" longer stainless back cut valves and no valve job, just lap em in and go...no port work.

The only thing wrong with Speedmaster heads is the left side requires installation with the left hand crescent wrench

There was a test done on AFR -165 heads on a other wise stock freshened up 5.0 and it gained 75 horsepower, there was nothing done to the heads. I wish that afr made cylinder heads for the sbm's. Edelbrock has heads just for the small bore small block Chevys. It would be awesome if edelbrock and afr were to offer cylinder heads for the 318.

-
Back