Speedmaster MidRise Air Intake Manifold

-
LOL, those manifolds are all over the place when it comes to quality.
A stolen design, made cheap, for cheapskates. What could go wrong???
This is what I have seen on these intakes.
1. Incorrect hole angle for the bolts that go into the head. These are machined at 90 degrees, which is not the correct angle.
2. Intake mating surfaces not machined flat or parallel, allowing water to leak into the engine or vacuum leaks.
3.Massive core shift, with dismal port alignment.
4. Actual holes in the manifold from casting issues at the foundry.
And the people who sell these manifold, know all about these problems, and don't care..
Roll the dice and buy one, just don't complain when you have to spend the same money getting it made serviceable by a machine shop.

20210107_113727.jpg
I sent mine back. The bolt hole was a little close to the water passage.

Yep, I don't know why they just don't supply them without the extra holes and the plugs. It would be cheaper..
Oh that's right Procomp / Speedmaster don't give a ****..

1. Incorrect hole angle for the bolts that go into the head. These are machined at 90 degrees, which is not the correct angle.
2. Intake mating surfaces not machined flat or parallel, allowing water to leak into the engine or vacuum leaks.
And the people who sell these manifold, know all about these problems, and don't care..
Roll the dice and buy one, just don't complain when you have to spend the same money getting it made serviceable by a machine shop.
Send it back to Summit and get another one

And get the same issues with the next one. Not to mention return postage costs.

I bought a Speedmaster jacket and hat and both shrunk 2 sizes in a rain storm. lol

I bought a Speedmaster jacket and hat and both shrunk 2 sizes in a rain storm. lol
Did the jacket have one arm longer than the other, or was it missing altogether.?
I know, the arm came out the back, inline with your spine!!

This is why I don't believe in buying off name brand products. I know, it's probably happened with the top brand names. These are reasons why if I were to buy speedmaster cylinder heads that I would buy them bare. You simply can't have quality and affordability at the same time. Are the speedmaster's cylinder heads at least machined here?

Just get a vintage 60s or 70s Weiand, Edelbrock or Holley intake. Problem solved.

Are the speedmaster's cylinder heads at least machined here?
No, Speedmaster is just a shop front business.
Here is some of their bullshit.

"For decades Speedmaster has continued to grow into one of the leading companies in the hot rod and performance muscle car market. Achieving great success both in product accolades and staff recognition from SEMA and PRI. Speedmaster team members hold awards for individual accomplishments such as 35 under 35 and Innovator of the Year nominations. The products are equally impressive with 13 SEMA awards to their credit. Despite the continued recognition from the racing and performacne customer base and industry peers alike, Speedmaster continues to push the boundaries with the passion and vigor that made their accomplishments to this point possible"

SEMA gave them awards... for stealing other companies designs...What a joke.

China CAN build quality.
Sure they can, but that also drives up the price of what they make. Bearing manufactures use China, but there is a big difference in the cheap Chinese bearings and the expensive ones.
Ever ask yourself why these well known manifold issues are never addressed by the manufacture?

Sure they can, but that also drives up the price of what they make. Bearing manufactures use China, but there is a big difference in the cheap Chinese bearings and the expensive ones.
Ever ask yourself why these well known manifold issues are never addressed by the manufacture?
Cost or lack of interest.

I had we 3 of these intakes bought over a couple years never a single issue with one. Work just fine have 2 polished ones and 1 satin both bolted right on and fit as they should

-
Back