Speedo and trans issue

-

EricD

Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping someone can help, last week I pulled the speedo cable out from the trans housing on my son's 64 Dart with a 904 trans to look at the gear as I was replacing the speedo cable. I had a heck of a time putting it back in but it finally went after tapping on it for awhile. I used an aftermarket universal cable with the square end that crimps on the end after you cut it to length. Anyway, it didn't work, it moved the needle to about twenty miles an hour as I was testing it and then made some funny noise's and quit working. I unscrewed the cable from the back of the speedo and the crimped square piece had come off. The cable is stuck in the housing now and won't pull out so I went to pull the entire cable housing from the trans hoping to maybe find a factory replacement but as I started pulling it out the trans started draining, it didn't do that last week when I pulled it out so here's my long-winded question, why is it draining and should there be fluid in the tail cone of the trans? and can anyone tell me where I can find a factory replacement cable. Thanks in advance,
Eric D.

Oh crap.
It sounds like you might not have lined the speedo gear up right and it tore up the gear causing it to leak past the seals around the speedo gear shaft.

Also, there is a direction the cable has to be installed or it will unwind inside the housing and seize up.

Hope I'm wrong on both counts.

Fluid IS in the extension housing (normal)
Among other things, the driveshaft yoke bushing (Extension housing bushing) and output shaft support bearing gets lubed with fluid.

Thanks TrailBeast, If I've learned anything it's that if I have a fifty percent chance of doing something the wrong way I'll do just that about 100 percent of the time! I guess I'll have to let it drain so I can see what's going on huh? Do I have to remove the extension housing while I'm at it?

thx,
Eric D.

Thanks TrailBeast, If I've learned anything it's that if I have a fifty percent chance of doing something the wrong way I'll do just that about 100 percent of the time! I guess I'll have to let it drain so I can see what's going on huh? Do I have to remove the extension housing while I'm at it?

thx,
Eric D.

No, you don't have to remove it unless the speedo gear is busted up and you want to get the chunks out.

You might want to look up how to install the speedo gear housing.
It is determined by how many teeth the gear has, and if you look close you will see multple slots and numbers on the gear housing outer edges.

On the cable, note that the direction it needs to turn tightens the cable instead of unwinding it.
This pretty much only happens with speedo repair kits, as factory cables are assembled correctly.

Thanks much TrailBeast, Hopefully I'll be able to replace whatever I broke, we'll know more later....

Eric D.

-
Back