Speedo cable question

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
My speedo cable is acting weird. From 0 to 10 its really bouncing. Then it straightens out untill about 80. Some times and only sometimes when I am driving on the freeway when it hits 80 it bounces around all over the place and makes a ringing noise. I just lubed it recently so I know thats not it. However I did notice that the cable house has some damage to it not sure what happened but the cable its self is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Usually it's in the speedo head itself. The shaft bushing wears out and allows the shell to hit the magnet causing the bounce. A bad cable can contribute to it also if the housing is melted and/or the center cable is starting to fray.

Usually it's in the speedo head itself. The shaft bushing wears out and allows the shell to hit the magnet causing the bounce. A bad cable can contribute to it also if the housing is melted and/or the center cable is starting to fray.

how could i got about fixing that?

Sometimes you can add some grease or 90w oil to the shaft and it will quiet down for a while but usually it means the speedo needs to be rebuilt. Depending on your year, there could be a brass plug on the shaft housing that can be removed along with the cloth wick in the hole. Add the grease/oil inside and reinstall the wick and plug (I like the spray moly lube myself). If you're carefull, you can also lube the shaft from each end. Just try not to get any excess on the magnet end of the shaft or it will get spun off and onto the shell causing it to malfunction.

-
Back