Speedo Cable

-

redrag64

Reaction score
I need a new speedo cable for my 64 Dart. Kragen says they have it, but when I looked it up, their description says it's universal for 68 -70-something, and it is 80 inches long. That doesn't seem right. I think it should only be about 60". THOUGHTS???

The next generation (67-69) is 63" I believe and likely closer to what you need. I bought one for my 67 at the local Advance Auto. I got the one you`re referring to first (80"?) and returned it for the shorter one.

You need one for a '63-5 A-body.....maybe '60-2 will work too.....I haven't tried those. The '65 and earlier cable housings go directly into the transmission and the speedo gear mounts on the cable housing whereas the '66-up ones thread onto an adapter that holds the speedo gear. If your housing is still good, you might be able to get just the center cable and cut it to length. They used to have them in the auto parts stores. The kit came with a plastic speedometer end that you had to melt onto the end of the cable. Kinda hokey but it worked. Make sure your speedo head isn't seized or you'll be buying another cable after about 20 feet!

Thank you both! You just saved me two trips to the parts store, and a lot of frustration! I'm working on tracking down the correct cable. Thanks for the leads too!

A '66-up cable will not fit or work with a pre-'66 transmission; the trans end of the cable is completely different and cannot be adapted. The cable you need is tough to find any more; it's no longer a parts store item. Check with Pat Blais, [email protected] , or with Old Car Parts Northwest.
The '66-7 cable can be adapted but it's just not real easy. I was in a pinch a few years ago when I just couldn't find one and had to get a '64 Dart on the road. What I did was cut the trans end off the bad '64 cable, cut the trans end off the good '66-7 cable, drill out the hub on the '64 cable end to the diameter of the '66-7 cable housing and then JB weld the two together. I figured I'd last a few months until I found the correct replacement. Well, several years later, it's still working and doesn't leak so I've left it alone!

Brewer's also has the speedo cable you need. There is a one-year-only cable that works with a later trans and early speedo, I think its a 66-only. I had to get this to make my 64 speedo work with the 77 trans.

Brewer's also has the speedo cable you need. There is a one-year-only cable that works with a later trans and early speedo, I think its a 66-only. I had to get this to make my 64 speedo work with the 77 trans.

Two-year-only: '66-'67.

http://www.imperialservices.net/

1960-1976 Speedometer Cables

These accurate reproduction speedometer cables are constructed using materials from the original suppliers, for years of quiet, trouble free operation. Lower fittings on '62-'65 cables solid 300 series stainless steel. Shipped un-lubed - must be lubricated before installation.

Speedometer Cables

Application
Our Part Number
Replaces OE PN

1960-1965 IS-659 2290 459, 2426 163
1965 IS-661 NPN
1966-1967 IS-664 2661 733
1968-1972 IS-663 2889 783

'62-'65 Corrugated Steel Speedo Cables $99

'62-'65 Vinyl Speedo Cables $79

'66-'76 Speedo Cables $49

Speedo_Cable_Ends_5.gif

So it looks like I can get a used cable for between $30 - $45, or I can get a repro for $80 - $100. Any advice on which way to go? Thanks!

So it looks like I can get a used cable for between $30 - $45, or I can get a repro for $80 - $100. Any advice on which way to go? Thanks!
If you can find a good used one, I'd go that route. 99% of the time the cable failure is due to a seized speedo head or the cable housing got kinked or fell onto a hot exhaust. If it happens again, it won't matter if it's new or used, it's gonna do the same thing.
Mark

If you can find a good used one, I'd go that route. 99% of the time the cable failure is due to a seized speedo head or the cable housing got kinked or fell onto a hot exhaust. If it happens again, it won't matter if it's new or used, it's gonna do the same thing.
Mark

How do I check to see if my speedometer is seized or not?

I was in the process of moving to a new house, and decided to have my 1964 Dart Gt inspected and I asked the local mechanic to look at the small leak on my transmission. I needed a car babysitter while I was making my move. He informed me that the leak is coming from my speedometer casing. Now, I paid a good price for this one on ebay, believe $129.00, now 3 years later it is leaking. It has a steel casing. This mechanic is top notch, the old classics line up at his front door, so doubt he is wrong, and he mentioned that it s not an O ring issue. He said maybe I could put a diaper on it. Has anyone else had this problem?

I was in the process of moving to a new house, and decided to have my 1964 Dart Gt inspected and I asked the local mechanic to look at the small leak on my transmission. I needed a car babysitter while I was making my move. He informed me that the leak is coming from my speedometer casing. Now, I paid a good price for this one on ebay, believe $129.00, now 3 years later it is leaking. It has a steel casing. This mechanic is top notch, the old classics line up at his front door, so doubt he is wrong, and he mentioned that it s not an O ring issue. He said maybe I could put a diaper on it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ok, I emailed Atlas, the place that sold me the cable, and they said it is likely the adapter seal on the transmission where the cable mounts. Is this called a pinion seal, and if so, does anyone have a part number/source?

-
Back