Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindSquirrel

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello Guys and Gals,

I need some help purchasing a speedometer cable for a 1967 Barracuda. The cable I bought from Rock Auto lasted about 3 weeks and is now broken. I thought that I saw a thread on here listing some sources for better grades of speedometer cables, but I can't locate it.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thnks,

BlindSquirrel

Ted,

That's a good thought. The original speedo was locked up, causing the cable to break. I replaced the speedo and the cable, and after about 3 weeks the speedo is not working. I reset the trip odometer, so I am assuming that the speedo is still working since the gears are not locked up.

Is there any way to check the speedo pinion to see if it is working? Do you have any other suggestions as to why the speedo is not working, or why the cable would break (other than it being poor quality)?

Thanks for any help.

67s have a screw on cable on both sides, the tranny and the speedo.
I had a broken speedo cable and could not find a new one, so I ended up getting a 68 speedo and a new cable. The cable broke within a few weeks, cheap plastic clip on to the speedo.
I ended up switching back to the correct speedo and finding a cable in a junkyard.
If you spin the back of the speedo with your hand the needle should move if it works.
There are a few tiny gears that work the trip, but the needle is driven right off of the cable.
I just took mine apart if you need pics, and a few others.

I was just looking on ebay for a cable. will the cable for a 67 fit all transmissions, or are they differant?

right here guy dows great work mines been on there for awhile plus he can make a fitting to fit any 1 u want a early a speedo and a 70's tranny hes great and ships allover heres the number there called brewers performance 937-698-4259

I've got a good used cable if you can't find anything closer. First you need to find out what broke the cable. They don't usually break on their own. Make sure the input shaft in the speedo head turn freely. If the odometer works but not the speedo, something broke in the speedo head. You can disconnect the cable from the speedo end and route it out from behind the dash so that you can drive and watch to see if the cable turns. If it does, speedometer time again, if it doesn't, cable or gear is probably the culprit.
Thanks, Mark

Thanks to all that have replied. I'll be sure to check things out to see if I can find the cause of the breakage. I'll let you know what I find out.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but my speedo in my 65 wagon makes a lot of noise from the dash. A loud rattle especially when accelerating. Also it is way off (high) and the needle jumps around at freeway speeds.

Timbolia,

I don't know about the noise, but the first thing that I would check as far as being "off" is the speedometer pinion gear. There are different pinion gears required based upon rear end gears and tire size. I don't have access to the thread off the top of my head, but the subject was discussed on this site in the past. You can also try an internet search for the formula if you can't find the thread.

BlindSquirrel

I had the same issue and the cable needed to be lubricated- no oil or WD-40, what was that stuff I used? I'm drawing a blank here, but it is at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back