Speedometer bounces all over the place

-
You can still get powdered graphite in a tube. I still use it in any locks where you put your key.

I bet the key to this speedo cable deal is to clean it real good first.\

AC , PS, and speedos are for sissies!! lol

My 68 with a 340 automatic won't go past 60 on the speedometer. Hits 60 and stops dead. Even put a new cable on, can't figure this one out

It was like that when I purchased the car. I believe they are a sealed unit so I really don't know what you would service on them
Every speedometer I have ever seen from this era was an open frame, just a bent strap holding the odometer and cable mounting. Once removed from the dash housing you can see everything, the magnet, the worm gear for the odometer, all the odometer digits...

Alan

Every speedometer I have ever seen from this era was an open frame, just a bent strap holding the odometer and cable mounting. Once removed from the dash housing you can see everything, the magnet, the worm gear for the odometer, all the odometer digits...

Alan
Thanks for the info, will the speedometer come out by the front or does it come out behind the dash, putting my new cable in was a real PITA laying on my back trying to feed the cable into the speedo

Thanks for the info, will the speedometer come out by the front or does it come out behind the dash, putting my new cable in was a real PITA laying on my back trying to feed the cable into the speedo

The speedo should come out from the front. You probably have to drop the steering column, and you need to take the lower speedo cable off the transmission so you can pull the thing out of the dash.

Alan
Hmmm, I never recall any open frame speedo in A bodies; IIRC, they are all closed in on the back with a plastic housing. There might be a way to open them up; I never tried.

Roger.. especially on the NOS one. I never took the housings apart so never saw the 'guts'. Tnx!

Mine does the same thing. clicks under 30mph or so and around 65mph its bouncing between 55 and 70. Guess it's one of those fancy "approximate" speedos (lol). In all seriousness my duster's cable did the same thing, one day my cousin took the cable loose at one end, and said it had twisted itself (probably from topping out the speedo), and he claims he just twisted it back and that fixed the issue. Granted, I wasn't present when any of that happened, but it did fix the jumping around. Still clicks at low speed but that could be the plastic gear too.

I replaced the old cable with a new one and it didn't fix the issue, probably going to have to replace the whole gage

-
Back