Speedometer cable trouble!

-

polkat

Reaction score
Can't figure out where to post this, so I'll try here. Last week I pulled the instrument cluster out of my 1973 Dart 4-door to fix all the dead bulbs. That worked well, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the speedo cable to set back in so it works. The needle 'bounces' all over the place, often showing 100mph when I'm doing about 25! I've pulled and reset it many times (and it sets fully into the back of the speedometer). Also makes a slight dinging (bell) sound. Worked fine before I pulled the dash.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Remove the cable from the housing, grease it well, and reinstall it. Be sure the cable end locks into the back of the cluster.

Yep, did all that but no success. Other ideas?

Usually when your needle jumps around like you say. The cable is frayed and it is grabing on the cable housing causing the needle bounce. A new speedo cable is needed, I would say.

My speedometer itself caused that problem. The old grease in it was gunky so I used some brake clean and cleaned it up and oiled it and it works fine now.

Yes, it does act as if the cable might be frayed....but it worked perfectly just before this, and the cable itself makes no noise. I think it's just not fitting correctly into the speedo.

They cable or its housing may be pushing on the instrument. We tend to pull a little housing through the firewall in removal and forget to push it back again.
There was a service bulletin about drive cables being too long or growing with heat.
Trim 1/16" from the drive tip was the cure. That was F-body I think.

Found the problem (I think). The plastic connector that latches to the back of the speedo was cracked (allowing the cable to enter the speedo at an angle). I presently have it sitting clamped under a lamp with JB Weld curing. The very few boneyards around here are picked clean, which is why I'm trying this. By the way, the inner cable itself is fine, no freys or nicks. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Good luck fixing your problem but just in case it doesn't work instead of looking for a 40 year old mostly worn out piece in a scrap yard why don't you just buy a new one for $28? I bought one from this guy on E-bay and his service was great. I first bought one for my car which is a 68. The 68 is supposed to take the kind like you have with a plastic connector. Apparently my dash was changed some time in it's life and had the screw on 67 type. I should have taken it apart to check first. My mistake. Anyway when I got the new one and took my dash out I found the problem and wrote him back and with no problem at all he sent me the correct one out and said just send the first one back and didn't want extra for shipping on the 2nd one he sent either. Here's a link to him

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=140126748989&rd=1

BTW: This one is 80" long. My Cuda only takes a 63" one which he has also. Make sure and measure yours first if you do buy one.

If you don't buy on e-bay I bet some of the restorers have it. Paddock, Mopars by Crane, Possibly Year One, Laysons, just to name a few.

Had the same problem with a 68 speedo. Had to take it to Redline Guages to get it fixed. It was something I didn't want to get into. In about 45 min. he had fixed and he fixed my speedo cable to.

for a 1973 Dodge Dart
clearpixel.gif
pnrca-3027003.jpg

clearpixel.gif
About this product:part Number:CA-3027Weight:0.9 lbs.Note:80" in length
clearpixel.gif
grey_line.gif
clearpixel.gif
Pricing: $15.49
clearpixel.gif
dotted_line_detail.gif

Heres the listing from Autozone. Listing is for a 318 or /6.

I got my last one at Napa. But any of them should be able to get it.
You would be surprised what you can still buy locally.
Check their websites.

Thanks again guys! I'll look into that part. By the way, what's the best lube to use in these cables?

I don't know if it's the best, but I used normal high temp axle grease.
I had some left over from packing the bearings on my trailer.

I use powdered graphite. May be able to get it at a hardware store. I got it from a locksmith. Not affected by cold and won't get "gunky"

-
Back