Speedometer gear

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went from 3.21's to 3.55's and the gear needs to be changed to a 36 tooth gear.

now the problem, the old style gears are long, like on a stake. The newer gears are short and held on by clips.

Where would I find one?

you should still be able to get them through your local Mopar
dealer. I got some from my local dealer couple years ago.
Got to www.moparts.com. tech archives. They have a chart there
for the correct gear and part number. Good luck. Brian

Thanks Brain. It's just the short gear of the newer trannys tend not to be thgought of when people resond with what they think is the correct part number. I noticed right away that there is is; 2838939 supercedes to 52068061 But doesn't mention if it for new or older style gear.

The chart there states;

1966-1989 727 & 904 Automatics Transmissions

Can there be some mistake in this?

Can I convert the old style to a new style and what about speedometer hook up.

This is the dilema. For this car (Magnum) and my Duster.

Also, side thought, does anyone know what the back of the Autometer/MP speedometers do for a cable and what it takes to hook one up?

Thaks fellas.

they are electronic and take a sensor that screws on to the part on the tranny that the original speedo cable did.

You mean I gotta screw on a sensor to the tranny? Hummmmmm, I wonder if theres room enuff for this. The shifter floor linkage is right there.

Have you done this?

Hey Sparky. The tires are 245/60/15.

The year one catolog has a chart I went by and it spec'ed a 235/60/15 tire and 3.55's for a 36 tooth gear. I figure the extra 10 mil's won't throw it off so much to worry.

(just thought about it, it's not 10 mil. in height, it's width. The height difference would be 60% of the 10 mil. or 6 mil taller.)

-
Back