speedometer issue

-

alg

Reaction score
We rewired my 71 Demon. it has a new speedo cable and was operating properly until I reconnected it to the instrument cluster. Now the speedometer needle goes from 0 to about 80 as the car moves forward slowly. I disconnected it and assured that the cable is centered in the connector so that it plugs into the unit properly and it does. It snaps in place easily, but continues to malfunction. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.

al graham

Any chance it got bumped/ dropped? Might be the bearing where the cable connects is AFU

See, the needle is not geared directly to the cable like the odometer is. The needle is driven by a magnetic coupling, so if something "in there" lets the magnetic coupling drag or touch, or maybe dust or debri it can make the needle bounce erraticaly, pin, or similar problems

The inner strand of the cable is usually ground to be square not round. Are you getting the square strand properly aligned when inserting it back into the speedo? The center inlet of the speedo is also square and has to be properly oriented with the inner strand square. That could cause this problem also. I've done it myself. That's how I know....

there has been no damage to the cluster. It was restored a couple years ago and was working fine til recently.
It worked fine, the car sat for two months, and when I restarted it this happened for the first time. The cable was connected to the cluster the time it sat idle.
The inner strand on mine is also square. It is oriented in the center of the clip and snaps easily into the ridge on the inlet on the back of the cluster.
any other thoughts? Thanks for your replies

pull the cable off at the speedo end and spin the speedo shaft, does the speedo needle go up smoothly or jump around?

I use a cheap used GPS I bought on Craigs. It IS a PITA to wait for it to boot first trip out.

-
Back