speedometer needle goes nuts on 65 Cuda

-

stoke

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I should start to find the cause of the speedometer needle, on my 65 Barracuda, going nuts ? It goes all over the place, Just asking opinions before I jump into it. Thanks.

Mine did this on the Duster. All I did was lube the speedo cable and smoth as ever. I origianlly swapped out speedo's and the dam thing did the same thing. Start with the least expensive first I guess.

If its the original one it's most likely the cable. Make sure it is not kinked at severe angle anywhere then try pulling the cable out & cleaning it, adding some lube and putting back in. If that does'nt work go with new cable. It is usually the cable having probs. before speedo bites the dust & they are the cheaper fix to start with.

Oldschoolcuda

In addition to cleaning/lubing the cable don't overlook the metal fitting on the back of the speedo. The cable end goes into a little pinion. The pinion rotates inside the outer fitting - like a bushing. Trust me, if this point is dry, no amount of cable lube will fix the erratic needle.

-
Back