Speedometer not working

-

Blue340s

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 69 barracuda 340 w 727 & 323 sure grip. Understood could be speedo itself or cable or gears, but have no exp. I'm getting into my new hobby and this is my first step. I feel like I should be able to fix it myself. Any advice welcome. I do best w how to pcs and videos. Thanks in advance.

Well, what I do is to pop the cable off the tranny, and chuck the end in a drill, and, in reverse spin it up. A witness in the car reports, yay or nay.If it works, obviously the problem is in the gear or its indexing. If it doesnt, its time to disconnect the other end and pull the inner cable out for inspection. If the cable is ok, you are going into the head unit. Sounds simple, right? but dont be fooled. This process could take several hours.
Going back to the gear; If you determine the problem is in the gear, heres the diagnostic for that.
It has to be installed, indexed correctly.
First the car has to be raised on the drivers side only, and the rear end up.This is to help keep the ATF in the trans. Put a 2 QT pan under the gearhouse, and pop the retaining bolt and clamp.Take a good look at the housing. You will see 4 short index slots/ruts/divots/whatchamacallits. Between each pair of them are a series of numbers. These numbers represent a working range of gear teeth.The range number that corresponds to the number of teeth on the gear inside has to be at the 6 oclock position, for the gear-teeth to mesh with the drive-gear teeth.If its not meshed properly,the teeth will either not engage and spin, or will be ripped off.
So check your number range at the 6 oclock position, Then pop the housing out.Next examine that gear. Its plastic. As goofy as that sounds they usually last a lot longer than most of the rest of the car.So check yours out. If its in good shape, check the number on the gear which correspond to the tooth count.This number must match the range number. If it doesnt, rotate the housing to the correct index and slam it back together. Then roadtest it.And check it for accuracy.

Thanks. It'll be a week or two before I can get to it. I'll let u know how it goes.

Have fun.

-
Back