Speedometer removal on 65 Dart

-

williaml

Reaction score
Don't laugh I am partially handicapped and even removed my front seat so I could lay under dashboard to see what the issue is. I'm trying to remove my speedometer to have it rebuilt. I have taken the screws out of the dashboard and the dash pulls out a little but how do I remove the speedometer unit does it twist out ??? Any help would be appreciate thank you William

Make sure you disconnect the battery before starting any dis-assembly.
Otherwise, the 'magic smoke' might escape from some electrical componet.

Omni

Once you pull the cluster from the dash, turn it face down and remove all the little screws holding the bezel to the metal part of the cluster. Then remove the machine screw (or maybe 2 - I can't remember) from the speedometer. It will then pull out the front. I've had several speedometers (including a 65 Dart KPH speedometer) rebuilt at Denver speedometer in case you're looking for a quality rebuilder.

Thanks for answering so I have to remove the dashboard

Yes, removal of the cluster is the only way to access the speedometer and gauges. You will need to lower the steering column (2 bolts holding a shallow u shaped bracket), remove the screws holding the cluster to the dash, reach behind and disconnect the speedometer cable, remove the wiring harness plug and remove the ammeter wiring. Be sure to disconnect the battery before starting as was previously mentioned.
Don

sent from my iPhone

-
Back