Speedometer ?

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
I have been in the process of fixing things in my dash in my 66 cuda so i have had the dash out quite a bit. One of the times i had the dash in i had a bad clicking noise and the speedometer was jumpy and eventually pegged. I went ahead and unhooked the cable from the dash after that. When i had the dash out this last time i hooked the cable back up. I dont have a noise anymore after that but no speedo. I thought hmmm. I was up under the car today and found the cable was unhooked at the transmission. I attached it back to the automatic tranny and i still have no noise but no speedo either. Bad speedo? bad cable? needs adjusting? thanks

Sounds like bad speedo cable. Maybe it got in a bind when it pegged and eventually broke off.

The Jumpy is commonly caused by need for speedometer cable cleaning and lube. Eventually leads to it breaking. Lube can dry out and get embedded inside the cable/housing, it jumps as the cable spins and clicks over the hardened lube.

Here's a cable for '66 & '67 cars. Would work for earlier cars if they had a later trans in them. Not sure what you need to do for a stock speedo drive in a 65 & earlier car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa9f6aa80

This one is the correct length. I've noticed most of the big parts houses are listing an 83" long (IIRC) cable, which means you'd have to put a loop in it somewhere.

I'd check the speedo head before I put a new cable in or you may end up with two broken cables. Use a piece of the old cable or a small screw driver and spin the input shaft of the speedo.

brewers is #1 got mine made for a 73 dart 904 to a 63 speedo no problem there the way to go it was decent priced to very decent.

-
Back