FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
4 new Bilstein shocks - PST
2 New leaf springs with 1" above stock lift, bushings and shackles - PST
4 new wheels - 15 X 8 Mopar Ralleys - SpecialtyWheels
4 new BF Goodrich tires - SpecialtyWheels

A lot more to go.....!

:burnout:

WOw. You did spend some dough! Well spent in my book.

I have a $9000 budget for this round of repairs.....
A lot more coming!
Then it'll be a while to gather more money....and so on ....and so on.....LOL !

(This is part of the money from selling my Corvette....!)

Selling the Corvette don't sound good, but upgrading an Abody sounds like a lot more fun..

Ya....kinda bitter sweet.....but I never drove the Corvette....
I'm going to make the 'Cuda my everyday car!

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I like what your doin with the 'Cuda. I drive a notch myself. Always loved that body style.

Everything looks good; accept the 15x8 and BFG T/A.. What were you thinking? Your getting all this 'handling' stuff, get some decent wheels and tires! Tire compound has come a long way since 1981.

I never cared for the fast backs....
Absolutely LOVE the notchback though!

Attachments

• 20150516_150952_zpsvc6kyctz.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 263
Thats too much money to have for that budget. Please send half to me!:D. Man, you just got your car and are working way too fast and making me feel like a slug! Keep up the good work. Mine is a notch also.

Scott

Everything looks good; accept the 15x8 and BFG T/A.. What were you thinking? Your getting all this 'handling' stuff, get some decent wheels and tires! Tire compound has come a long way since 1981.

What's wrong with BFG's?!!

Thats too much money to have for that budget. Please send half to me!:D. Man, you just got your car and are working way too fast and making me feel like a slug! Keep up the good work. Mine is a notch also.

Scott

LOL.....it cost me a Corvette I had for 14 years.....there's pain with my gain!

What's wrong with BFG's?!!

That's what I said when I first dug into it too.

In short, they suck. Look around, don't take my word for it. Ask ol 72bluNblu:

05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
255 is as wide as you can go on a Dart without moving the springs, and then only if your backspacing is dead on. A 1/2" spring relocation should get you to 275, but that's it without a 3" relocation and mini-tub.

What you end up with for tires really depends on what you do with the car. I won't run BFG T/A's on anything I drive, but that's just me. A lot of folks don't like 17" or 18" rims either, but if you actually want good, street legal tires that's pretty much what you have to do.

05-08-2014, 12:09 AM
BFG T/A's were good tires for their day. Which was almost 40 years ago.

Compared to the BFG KDW2's I have on my Duster, they might as well be hockey pucks. Modern tire designs and compounds are light years ahead of the technology that went into the T/A. There are worse tires out there for sure, but the T/A is just your basic low to mid-range tire.

If the rest of your suspension is the basic low to mid-range stock stuff, they're ok. You're matching 40+ year old suspension technology with 40 year old tire technology, and you'll get the same performance as 40 years ago. But by today's standards, that's pretty poor. Start upgrading your suspension to have a more capable car, and you'll need to upgrade the tires as well.

As far as rims, you'll need to know whether you have the 5x4" bolt pattern or 5x4.5". Stock would be 5x4" for a '68. There was a company making SBP rims in 17" and 18", but I haven't looked for them recently as all of my cars are 5x4.5" or will be before they see the road. 17x8" all the way around would be a decent way to go, you could run 255/45/17's all the way around. You'd want 5.3-5.4" backspace up front, and about 4.5-4.75" backspace in the rear. In the front you're limited by the tie rod end, which gets usually to be an issue at around 5.5-5.6" of backspace on a 17x8.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-276296.html

Way to tear down a fellow human! I just bought BFG tires a well, If you can tell me WHO makes tires for my car, in the sizes I need please enlighten us! 24560R14 and 21560R14. Nothing wrong with BFG IMO. MT :wack:

LOL.....it cost me a Corvette I had for 14 years.....there's pain with my gain!

I seen where you posted the cuda over on the corvette forum, that was a good looking car.

I also have a c-3 vette lots of fun to drive.

Too much stuff....I'll take those Bilsteins off your hands!!! My son and I (and the body shop) restored his 1978 Firebird, it had some OLD BFG T/A's but there was no sidewall tire rot and they hugged the road pretty good.

Thanks guys. ........and as for the tires, anything brand new is going to be better than what I have right now!

Now the hard part. ........waiting for the boxes to arrive!

My 74 Vette was fast as hell.........this is gonna need to be faster!

You cant never have too much power, I have a new roots supercharger I am putting on my vette if I can ever get a free weekend to bolt it on.

Way to tear down a fellow human! I just bought BFG tires a well, If you can tell me WHO makes tires for my car, in the sizes I need please enlighten us! 24560R14 and 21560R14. Nothing wrong with BFG IMO. MT :wack:

No one makes decent handling street tires for a 14" rim. Or a 15" rim for that matter. It's pretty much BFG T/A's or maybe Cooper Cobra's if you go wider than 225.

As far as BFG T/A's go, they're round and they roll. They'll last a really long time too.

I was able to break loose the BFG T/A's on my challenger with a ho-hum 318 coupled to a stock 904 auto running into a single legger 2.76. If that sounds like a good tire, well, I don't know what else to say. They have even LESS traction in wet conditions, which is hard to do. They're down right scary in the rain.

Swap out your BFG TA's for a modern performance tire and you'll wonder why you ever used them. They're horrible. Unfortunately, in order to do that you'll have to upgrade to a 17 or 18" rim. There's just no modern performance tires offered in "muscle car" sizes for a 15" rim.

Sure, they're fine for cruising to the coffee shop or the local show. They're awesome for burnouts, even slant 6 cars look like hero's melting down a set of BFG T/A's. But if you want your car to handle, the BFG's will be the limiting factor really fast.

To each his own, but I hate the way 17" or bigger wheels look on otherwise mostly stock looking '60s-'70s cars. Now if you're going for an all out pro-touring look or whatever, big wheels and modern sticky tires are certainly O.K.
Tell you one thing, a '60s car with even those "sucky" BFG T/A radials on it handles about 5X better than the same car with really sucky stock F70-14 bias ply tires on it!

To each his own, but I hate the way 17" or bigger wheels look on otherwise mostly stock looking '60s-'70s cars. Now if you're going for an all out pro-touring look or whatever, big wheels and modern sticky tires are certainly O.K.
Tell you one thing, a '60s car with even those "sucky" BFG T/A radials on it handles about 5X better than the same car with really sucky stock F70-14 bias ply tires on it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-
Back