spewing 727

-

akrateffil

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got a 727 on a 440 that is spewing its fluid from the vent. I just put a B&M Transpak in it along with a 2800 stall converter. During the test drive I "crop dusted" quite a few people. Got home and checked the fluid level, as expected it was low. I put the car in the air and topped off the fluids. Gently ran the car under no load in the air (stopping tire rotation before changing gears) - all was good until I put it into reverse. At that moment about a quart of fluid spewed out the bellhousing area. I pulled the tranny, thinking it was the front seal and it was not. The converter hub and seal looked great. I believe it came from the vent. Any suggestions as to my next step?

I think you are going to have to pull the valve body off and go over what you did to it and make sure everything checks out. I suspect it will not. It seems the Transpak mod(s) is what caused the problem, right?

Did you check the front bushing. I had my spin on me and spewed fluid out the front bell housing.

It's pretty unlikely it came from the vent because the vent is just that, a vent. It vents to the inside of the trans. For it to spew out of the vent the entire case of the trans. would have to be pressurized. It is possible the gasket behind the front pump blew out. It has a passage that leads to the front clutch carrier which is one component that provides reverse. It's possible there is an issue with the B&M kit that caused it. I quit using B&M (and TCI) due to problems such as this. I only use Trans-Go kits now. In the 16 yrs. I've used trans-go never had a problem.

P.S. I've attached a picture of the oil ports so you can pressure test it before tearing the whole thing apart. To do it all you have to do is take the pan off and valve body out. Use 30-40 psi of air pressure and apply pressure to the front and rear clutch apply ports (wear safety glasses cause oil may blow back at you). If oil (or air) blows out of the front pump area it's a good indicator that that pump gasket is blown.

Attachments

• Torqueflite pressure test ports 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for the advice. I have checked with air pressure and the only thing I see is some air blowing by the rear servo rings. Everything moved as it was suppose to. Is it possible to have that much blow by to blow the fluid out the vent?
I pulled the pump out and looked at the bearings/bushings they all looked good. This week I am going to get a seal kit and see if I can locate a factory valve body cheap. Also call B&M and talk to their tech dept. I have had poor experiences with B&M moons ago, you would have thought I would have learned. I am going to go over the transpak kit again to make sure I got everything per their instructions.
I am still open to opinions and advice???
Andy

Well kick me in the nads and call me stupid. I started looking closer and and found the front pump bushing spun - kudos to sixty9xtc. I am not sure what I was looking at before, but the front bushing and housing will need replaced. The housing was chewed up also.
Thanks to everyone again,
Andy

Glad you found it Andy.

Hey I used to make the trip down to your town 2-3 days a week for work when I was a mobile forklift mechanic for Hyster. Mostly went to Petty co. but also went to World color press.

Make sure the front bushing is staked ,,,,,,,,,,

-
Back