Spherical leaf spring bushings

-

Reaction score
Anyone modify there leaf springs with Spherical bushings, which ones did you use and how did it workout?

1667828698729.png

Last edited:
If you are talking about "oval" bushings like F-bodies have, I doubt it would be worth the effort. That was part of Chryslers effort to soften the ride. Racers preferred stiffer bushings or aluminum inserts. I believfe OEM F-body front bushings had 2 holes in them that racers filled with a bolt to help stiffen them in the early days.

Roller bearing bushings would be helpful not only for stiffness but for their reaction. I've heard of some racers putting them in the front & rear leaf spring locations, but very expensive.

If you are talking about "oval" bushings like F-bodies have, I doubt it would be worth the effort. That was part of Chryslers effort to soften the ride. Racers preferred stiffer bushings or aluminum inserts. I believfe OEM F-body front bushings had 2 holes in them that racers filled with a bolt to help stiffen them in the early days.

Roller bearing bushings would be helpful not only for stiffness but for their reaction. I've heard of some racers putting them in the front & rear leaf spring locations, but very expensive.

Works like a heim joint, suppose to take binding out of the rear suspension, I plan on some autox and drag razing.

1667828480775.png

Full road race build? Standard leaf spring setup? Seems like overkill compared to poly bushings for rear leaf springs. I put them in the front thrust arms on my 2000 BMW M5 and it tightened up the turn-in and was an improvement in steering feel, but I'm not sure the reduced ride quality on was worth it. That is a seriously stiff chassis, so the difference could be felt. These 60-70's chassis are wet noodles in comparison.

Full road race build? Standard leaf spring setup? Seems like overkill compared to poly bushings for rear leaf springs. I put them in the front thrust arms on my 2000 BMW M5 and it tightened up the turn-in and was an improvement in steering feel, but I'm not sure the reduced ride quality on was worth it. That is a seriously stiff chassis, so the difference could be felt. These 60-70's chassis are wet noodles in comparison.

Definitely not full race setup, moving leaf 3/4" adding rear sliding shackle, looking what mods I can do the improve handling came across this one, just wondering if worth it?

IMO not worth it. There is a conversation going on regarding the merits of various 3/4 link setups, fiberglass springs, etc that would probably provide ideas for better results and bang for the buck. I just don't think sphericals on the leafs are going to provide a measurable improvement in a mostly stock suspension, and are going to increase NVH.

If your doing the rear sliders, then the front eye can be upgraded to a poly bushing or a solid aluminum bushing.
Handling wise, thicker/stiffer sway bars and better shocks are where you’ll find improvements.

Global West uses those in there suspension kits for Camaro's and Mustang's. You may want to view there web site as they have several articles on the advantages of using them.

-
Back