Spicer Life series U-joints don't fit...

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Well... I purchased the small Spicer SPL series for my Duster. The cap size is correct, however it seems that the Cross is to thick to actually get them in far enough for install. The stock Detroit Crosses are much thinner and slides in further so those can fit.

This should be a simple process, I don't see why I'm having these issues? Maybe I'm missing something simple? :banghead:

Any ideas??

Attachments

• ujoint1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 236
  • ujoint2.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 229
A buddie of mine had same problem he grinded the inside just a hair.2 years no problem and his are on 1 ton chevy truck with lockers its a wheeler.

I was afraid of that! Thats is something I REALLY didn't want to do! They should just fit correctly, shouldn't they????

Are those driveshaft rings/loops perfectly straight? Could have twisted slightly over time depending on how much power your putting down. I remember mine were a very tight fit, heavy duty spicers.
Double check the other 2 crosses with the caps in the picture, aren't shorter. I think I remember 2 of them being slightly longer than the other when installing.

Here is the difference... This is the stock U-joint. Notice how much thinner the cross is. It actually slides into the cross so it fits easier. The Splicers are to fat.
Basically, it seems I can either get a weaker grease joint so that fits properly, OR weaken the yoke so the u-joint is stronger... :-k

Oh... Everything is straight... and the ends on Spicer is the same length.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ujoint3.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 214
I'd have to remove .040 from both ends of the driveshaft and the yoke. Not exactly something I want to do. I'd think they could make a part that actually fit the car it was made to go on?! They could have just made the U-joint .40 smaller.

I have installed hundreds and hundreds of those, only the one side needs it, or just take a nice size punch with a large end put it on the cross if you can hold the shaft at the weld yoke and place the punch at the center of the cross and with a hammer and one really good shot and it will pop in.

Or you can remove .040 from the spl crown , i just hit them right in, but that is important on how you hold the shaft.

Oh yeah, grind on it and hit it with a hammer. (rolls eyes)

As far's I can tell, some designer at Spicer went stupid

I called them and they just said to order another set with a differnt date code. They said if there was a problum they would have heard about this before. IDK??

I called them and they just said to order another set with a differnt date code. They said if there was a problum they would have heard about this before. IDK??
Just another case of a company saying it aint our fault

Myasylum- Your first pic of the yoke, shows a low point on the left hand side. A light tapping with a rubber mallet and a light dab of grease would probably make it slide right in.
Supershafts post confirms a tight fit too as he has installed tons of these over the years.
Unfortunately so many parts are made overseas now and the fit and finish of OEM stuff is not what it used to be.

Well... I tried it and did just that. I made a small chamfer on just the corners, and used a hammer with a towel, and one tap and it snapped in place.

Oh yeah, grind on it and hit it with a hammer. (rolls eyes)

Well... I tried it and did just that. I made a small chamfer on just the corners, and used a hammer with a towel, and one tap and it snapped in place.

Amazing wasn't it, just like i said it would, you could of done the same without grinding it.

Myasylum- Your first pic of the yoke, shows a low point on the left hand side. A light tapping with a rubber mallet and a light dab of grease would probably make it slide right in.
Supershafts post confirms a tight fit too as he has installed tons of these over the years.
Unfortunately so many parts are made overseas now and the fit and finish of OEM stuff is not what it used to be.

This has nothing to do with the oem.

Detroit was the oem company, detroit went OOB in the late 80's, spicer made replacements for the detroit 7260 series in greasables and when they went with the cold forged they only made crosses by the series THEY make, so that made the changes all at the cap.

The spicer spl line is stronger and slightly larger, spicer makes one cross for the 1300 series and makes up the lock up differences on the caps.

The larger cross simply needs a good tap and it pops into place.

I have installed these joints in my own shafts and hundreds and hundreds of customers shafts, all the 7260 series need the hit.
I use a ball-peen hammer and hit the cross and they're in, set the caps and clips and done.

The last company making joints in the US is spicer, the needles are made in VA and the caps and some crosses are made in the TN plant some truck crosses are made in Mex.
The plants are all over but they are spicer plants and not some china company coping **** and sending them out for a company.

The spl series will handle 700/800 hp in that series and even more.

I figured the beefed up series was slightly larger. I was referring to other parts not made in the usa, yet good info thanks.

Oh the other crap coming in from "copy it best as they can see china" is horrible.

neapco is getting a lot of there stuff from one of those "copy it as best you can" places now.
It is sickening especially when you know you can buy this crap for dollars and cents and they are charging you as if they are being made by a US worker being paid a good union wage and having the metallurgy checked and a part per 100 checked for it's failure to be above the rated index.

-
Back