Spindle Damage

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Ok well today I noticed a hum coming from the front end. I am familiar with this noise and went to get a new set of bearings. I pulled the old bearings and while I was cleaning up the spindle I noticed some gouging deep enough to catch my finger nail. So my question is does the spindle need to be replaced or some damage ok/normal?

If the spindle does need to be replaced will that affect the alignment? How difficult is the replacement?

If the bearings "sit" good on the spindle I would not worry about it. A photo would help. If these "gouges" are actually a groove deep and wide enough to increase the clearance of the ID of the race, then no.

The gouges are only about deep enough to catch my nail and they are not wide at all.

As for the way the race sits I think maybe I was unclear the gouge is on the spindle itself which is where the bearing rides. The race is on the outside of the bearing sitting against the drum.

Probably be able to polish it out with some emery cloth and buy a new bearing if its not to bad.

Thats what I was looking for the damage isn't to bad but it was enough to prompt a question. I changed the bearing and I am going to watch it for a few days.

-
Back