Spindle nut torque spec

-

john1779

Reaction score
Hello.

I am doing a ground up build on a 65 dodge dart gt. I am currently puting the front suspension together but I cant find the torque specs for the spindle nut. It has the 10" drum brakes.
Any help would be apriciated.

John

They dont torque per say. You just slowly snug them till there is a slight drag when you spin the drum.Then back off about a 1/4 turn and drum should spin free. You dont want the bearing to be loaded by the nut.

you need an inch pound wrench. tighten it to 72in. lbs. as you spin the drum. back the nut off and tighten it as tight as you can by hand. put everything else back on.

I only tighten the nut hand tight. It's a lot easier on the bearings in the long run. I ran my D150 pickup over 200,000 miles on the original bearings. I have over 154,000 on my current truck and it still has the originals in it also. Just make sure the bearings are seated. You can do that with a wrench or channel locks. Then back off the nut until it's loose and retighten by hand. Install a new cotter pin and you're done.

I think the 72in lbs is just to ensure that you have taken up all the slack without initially overtightening (same as tranny bands).

Grant

-
Back