Spitfire vs. Block Huggers for SBM in an early A

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy, all! I'm interested in opinions and experience with some headers. I'm going to put a 318 from a 74 Dart into my 64 Valiant. Quite some time ago a member had a set of real Spitfire headers for this application, but they sold to someone else. Fast forward to today, and it turns out the Spitfires did not sell and are available. However, in the meantime I got a set of block hugger headers for this combo, they are squirreled away in Parts Mountain. They look like these.

ayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FwawAAOSwSlBY3B33%2Fs-l300.jpg

The Spitfires look like this.

aba9275e-1676-4132-879a-006d8ce37d5d-jpeg.jpg

This will be just a fun street car, the 318 is planned for a set of standard Speedmaster heads, LD340 intake, SFT cam at about 224* @.050 with .470 lift, HEI ignition, about 10:1 compression on a stock bottom end.

Does anyone have experience with either of these headers, and if so what are the pro's/con's to them? I'm guessing the rest of the exhaust will be 2.5" duals out the back.

Those block huggers will fit IF you relocate and reshape the #1 tube and tie it into the base of the #3 tube and make it so that it does not "stick out" past the #3 tube from the side, if that makes sense. I cannot ever remember the member who did it, but he did a nice job and even had it recoated. It looked nice.

Buy the Spitfire headers and be done. Avoid the nonsense of modifying the stainless block huggers. The initial price difference is going to be be in negative territory really fast if you have someone else modify them to fit.

I have the spitfires on one of my cars. They work well. I would go with those if they are available and not priced to set you into the national debt range. All they require is to attach flanges.

for that set up you're not going to see massive gains between a shorty header and a 340 manifold. and honestly, a 360 or magnum manifold might be damn close as well.

here's a thread from last month on the topic: Shorty Headers

basically, it comes down to if you're going for headers, buy the expensive ones or suffer the consequences of fighting with the install. even more so with 4spd application.

-
Back