Spool Motor Mounts - Poly or Rubber???

-
Street? Rubber.

Track? Poly.

If the gradient between exceeds fifty percent, go with majority.

The quality of rubber used has gone down quite a bit. You don't know what you'll be getting. The poly mounts are firmer and more expensive, so it may be noticable in the ride quality and your wallet, but they will last longer.

I went with the rubber on my cars because of ride quality. I put a chain on the left side so I'd quit ripping the mount out when I get on it.

Not that there is a need for another post on this, but rubber will transfer less vibration to the car frame.
I did all my bushings with poly except the engine and trans mounts just to keep some of the engine vibrations down.
Poly is tougher though.

I filled the air void in the made in India rubber ones in 1997.

Still running them. Inspected them up close when I did the 416" motor in 2011 and had everything apart. Looked good!

I filled the air void in the made in India rubber ones in 1997.

Still running them. Inspected them up close when I did the 416" motor in 2011 and had everything apart. Looked good!

Hate to say it, but i wish I could settle for those made in India rubber mounts nowadays.

Last edited:
The last set of spool insulators I changed (with a good name brand, moog I think?) failed in two years. They sagged to the point where the engine dropped significantly causing header contact and fitment issues. They were made offshore with inferior rubber. I have since filled the air void in the mounts using a good quality two part rubber type of compound (proseal as used in aviation). Any kind of hardening chemical resistant rubber works fine. This stabilizes the mount but still allows some vibration insulation.

I went with the rubber on my cars because of ride quality. I put a chain on the left side so I'd quit ripping the mount out when I get on it.

You must be talking about a biscuit style mount, because you can’t “rip the mount” out of a spool style mount. You can wipe out the rubber (which a chain won’t stop), but the mounting bolt is still contained.

I use poly on mine, as already mentioned it’s a tougher material. It’s harder, so it will transfer more vibration from the engine to the chassis. Of course, if your engine is balanced properly, there shouldn’t be that much vibration now should there? The engine will also move around less with the poly mounts, which should be easier on other driveline components.

The poly spool inserts can be a little tough to install because the material is pretty hard, and they locate the engine a little more positively, so if you have tight clearances currently you may have to adjust some things after the poly spool inserts are installed.

Hate to say it, but i wish I could settle for those made in India rubber mounts nowadays.

Any reason you think current ones are worse?

I think filling the void made them last for me. Of course there should be more vibration coming through. But I think a compromise between open rubber and solid poly.

Any reason you think current ones are worse?

I think filling the void made them last for me. Of course there should be more vibration coming through. But I think a compromise between open rubber and solid poly.

EverYthing I've found locally was China. That's low dookie on the turd totem pole.

-
Back