Spool or Locker?

-

SSing

Reaction score
Application.
Nostalgia SS Barracuda. Mild Race Hemi (compared to todays SS-engines).
4-speed, 4.88 Dana 60. 10,5" slicks and track only.
I have a ´68 B-Body rear end (23 splines) and need to get 35 spline axels.
Would a Spool be the best choice here? It cost less, but other than that?
What do you say?
Thank you for taking the time.

Power lok is the best of both worlds, rebuild parts available, easy to find in old trucks. The more power you put to it the harder it locks.

Power lok is the best of both worlds, rebuild parts available, easy to find in old trucks. The more power you put to it the harder it locks.

Ok, so when when the 35 spline axel came in the´70 Dana 60, the Power Lok was still in it. Than change to the less desirable Track-Lock in ´71? Or am I mixing thing up here...

Really if this is drag race only the spool is a no-brainer here. At no point do you want those two axles to be acting individually. It could be dangerous. It's lighter it's less expensive it stronger....
The most important of all on a Dragstrip it's safer....

I don't believe they had a track lock in the dana's only the 8 3/4. but all trucks with a 60 and posi still have 35 spline power loks, early fords have 10 spline axles in the 60s but you can get gear sets to change them to 35 spline if you find one cheap.

For a track car like yours with 4.88 gears and slicks and a clutch, go with the spool and never look back. Car should leave nice and straight as long as you have the suspension set up correctly.

For a track car like yours with 4.88 gears and slicks and a clutch, go with the spool and never look back. Car should leave nice and straight as long as you have the suspension set up correctly.
Then definitely have the rear tires rolled out and matched.

If its track only then yea spool but if it were me in a nostalgia SS car I would be on the street and cruise ins and weekend drags so it would be a power lok

If its track only then yea spool but if it were me in a nostalgia SS car I would be on the street and cruise ins and weekend drags so it would be a power lok
Not to bust your balls here but I do all that with a spool LOL
Edit: it's no cornering machine..

I vote spool!
100_1649.JPG

Yes, I pretty much already had made up my mine before posting my question, but it is always interesting to have input from you guys. Thank you all.
So are you running one of aluminum, or is a good quality "standard type" spool best in my case?

Yes, I pretty much already had made up my mine before posting my question, but it is always interesting to have input from you guys. Thank you all.
So are you running one of aluminum, or is a good quality "standard type" spool best in my case?
Personally I got whatever dr. diff sells for a buck and a quarter?

I don't believe they had a track lock in the dana's only the 8 3/4. but all trucks with a 60 and posi still have 35 spline power loks, early fords have 10 spline axles in the 60s but you can get gear sets to change them to 35 spline if you find one cheap.

Yes they had a track lock and a power loc in the Dana 60s and it was used in the three quarter tons and the one tons.

What they did not have was a posi.

The Dana 60 came out with 16 23 30 32 and 35 spline axles through the years
The track lock used in the eight and three-quarter was a copy of the Dana unit.

My buddy is building a pretty wild 596ci dart. The engine builder/chassis guy said a spool is the ONLY way to go. His dart has a Dana 60 and a limited slip already, so we're pulling it apart for a spool and 4.30's.

What is the power limit for a limited slip?

I ran a spool on the street with 325/50-15s. One weekend cured me,I'll never do that again. I swapped a cone-type into there, and readjusted the turning torque to 130ftlbs from the 120 that I run with 295s.
I saved the trac-Loc for the 4.30 track gears.
But I only have 400/430 hp.
Yes I really had several chunks at the ready at all times. Most are now sold, with the largest now 3.55s. I run the 3.09-833, so it takes off like 4.10s. I'm good with that.
That spool was great at the track tho, and no spiders to shatter nor pin to launch. I guess I should sell it as I haven't used it since about 2004.

I ran a spool on the street with 325/50-15s. One weekend cured me,I'll never do that again. I swapped a cone-type into there, and readjusted the turning torque to 130ftlbs from the 120 that I run with 295s.
I saved the trac-Loc for the 4.30 track gears.
But I only have 400/430 hp.
Yes I really had several chunks at the ready at all times. Most are now sold, with the largest now 3.55s. I run the 3.09-833, so it takes off like 4.10s. I'm good with that.
That spool was great at the track tho, and no spiders to shatter nor pin to launch. I guess I should sell it as I haven't used it since about 2004.

While were on this kick: I ran a spool in a 2440 pound vega, w/ an approx. 600 horse 406 sbc in it on the street. Even got caught in the rain driving to work one day , which was 28 miles each way. It can be done successfully, but u NEED TO KEEP UR HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT !! LOL------------forgot, I had 14x32 m/t street slicks on it too,, slicks w/ 2 grooves in each tire.

While were on this kick: I ran a spool in a 2440 pound vega, w/ an approx. 600 horse 406 sbc in it on the street. Even got caught in the rain driving to work one day , which was 28 miles each way. It can be done successfully, but u NEED TO KEEP UR HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT !! LOL------------forgot, I had 14x32 m/t street slicks on it too,, slicks w/ 2 grooves in each tire.
Yeah I remember you posted something along those lines in another thread like this,not too long ago.
My dislikes were the bobble-dance it did on every turn, when the tires had traction, and how it spun the inside wheel when it didn't. But I confess, those 325s were on 10" rims so they would fit into the factory tubs,at my lowered rideheight, and I had to run them at no more than 24psi so the treads would wear evenly. That mighta had something to do with it. In any case, they were much more civilized with the LSD.

-
Back