Spray on Chrome

-
They sent me a sale email back in Feb. . They didn't say when to expect to find it on the shelves. ChromeFX It is a pump spray bottle deposition.

Dang "Lowes" is my favorite store. BUT I could be persuaded to switch to the orange store for that if it works as good as they say! at least for the spray on chrome anyway.:D

there is a local guy here who does the spray chrome.. he has very good success with it.. the local bikers love this place. he has many colors to choose from

there is a local guy here who does the spray chrome.. he has very good success with it.. the local bikers love this place. he has many colors to choose from
yeah the guy I took my pieces to wanted to do a Brown/goldish tint to the bezels to go with the dash 2 tone scheme. I was a little hesitant going that route. But if I get a little adventurous I'll take a modified set of dash pieces down for him to redo and see how it comes out (at least one piece anyway) and if I don't like it .... well I KNOW Easy-Off oven cleaner WILL remove it:glasses3:

i also use a guy in cali for all my trinket pieces.. its the same plater that rick dale from american restoration uses. i have had very good success with them.. even pot metal pieces.. but pot metal plating is pricey

i also use a guy in cali for all my trinket pieces.. its the same plater that rick dale from american restoration uses. i have had very good success with them.. even pot metal pieces.. but pot metal plating is pricey

I only have pot metal pieces that need to be done so far, so I'm out of luck on that point. On my 66 dart there's only a couple of pieces that are NOT pot metal. I want to get my front fender spears, 4 tail light bezels, the transition pieces and the corner pot metal pieces on the top trim
that should take care of the chroming
I'm going to get thenm (the pot metal pieces) De-chromed so that I can do the pot metal repairs myself. I've done a couple of then beforse and saved over 60% of the cost so a little extra work on my part saves me a bundle!
except for the vent windows and bumpers. whew 1 thing at a time I guess.

If you cleared it with 2k clear, I'm guessing with the amount that car will get used, it will still look great ten years from now!

heck CudaChick1968 in 5 years at this cost I can afford to (hopefully) do it myself with a better designed product, that lasts as long or longer than the spectra chrome does now.
that was my thinking when I thought about buying the system- I'd be able to redo it whenever it was necessary.

that was my thinking when I thought about buying the system- I'd be able to redo it whenever it was necessary.

Alsa corp has that small weird looking Home user type thing with the 2 spray guns in one that just might be improved enough in 5 years to be worth getting for a DIY approach. I think Redfish called it Chromefx (it's in the post here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look to make sure I do know its somethingFX) if the cost goes down and the quality goes up in 5 or so years I'll be a chroming nutcase!

If you cleared it with 2k clear, I'm guessing with the amount that car will get used, it will still look great ten years from now!

the car's going to be a daily driver. that's why I'm changing the seats and other stuff so it'll be more comfortable (hopefully)

I hope it works out. The way the EPA is killing off all the good chrome shops the last few years, restorers need all the help we can get.

If you haven't clicked her link yet, you owe it to yourself. Those valve covers - - well "awesome" is SO overused, so I'll use GORGEOUS!

I did notice one problem, though.

They make that engine look awfully dirty!

BC

:-D Thank you 64ragtop!! You're the second person to say something. They seem to be vastly popular on FaceBook (even to the point of one picture being "viral" it said) and are lighting my in box on fire.

I don't think Mario even has them bolted on yet. He mentioned something about having a couple leaks to track down. He seems to be really happy with his vision so far though.

here's a little update on the parts I had spectra chromed! in my opinion it's ok for interior dash stuff that isn't show quality. It is paint so it blurrs the crisp definition lines somewhat. it is awful when it comes to chroming over letters, so if you need the letters in chrome done like FAN, high,low and others then it's not for you. if yours is like mine(black/grey and a little chrome) then have them NOT spray the black area where the numbers/letters are at. I'm going to have to strip the radio bezel in the heater area and tape off the chrome so I don't ruin it. that was my bad for not thinking of that. heck even I know multiple layers of paint blur lines. I didn't think about the letters so forgot to ask for that area masked. All in All it darned great for a driver and you might get away with it on my style dash (66 dart) that's mostly grey and black anyway on a show car. my ring bezels for the radio,wiper,ignition and lights came out great. yeah there's defects in the chrome from this guy, but it's all in the painted area so all is good to go o my part.

would I do it again YEP sure would. now I would NOT do this on a 65 Plymouth satellite dash bezel but on the darts (ok all early A's that I have seen the dash on) I'd do it in a heartbeat. taking in the fact that I would mask off the letters for the heater BEFORE I get it chromed. that's the only error that I made and will not for the next set.

due to the small size of the end piece it was hard for him to get it correct that's where the top chrome/black line got blurred. otherwise not bad
View attachment WP_20130507_008.jpg

the glove box door came out decent, but I did find one largish dirt speck(by elbow in pic) in the bottom area that I am spraying grey/silver , so I'll wetsand that with 3000 to get it smooth. nothing bad in the chrome areas.
View attachment WP_20130507_007.jpg

radio bezel came out EXCELLENT except for the letters. thise I'll tape off and strip with oven cleaner so I don't ruin the chrome.
View attachment WP_20130507_006.jpg

speedo bezel came out great. and no I didn't wet sand it out as good in the grey areas and you can see the repairs(by ignition switch) in the chrome. But it'll be sprayed grey and will not be seen once I wet sand and prep that area.

I have a little work to do to get them finished out to my liking and I should have done most of this stuff BEFORE(can you say impatient!) I gave it to the spray chrome guy. I learned and made a few mistakes, BUT it's usable and to me worth every penny I paid to get it done since my old ones were trashed cracked and broken.
View attachment WP_20130507_005.jpg

now I'm going to go that extra bit to get an A/C radio delete plate made,perfected and chromed, so I can put that one on instead of the A/C with radio in the picture.

Detail painting is the most difficult part no matter how the chrome is applied.
This is the main reason I've invested in printed Lexan inserts for the switch marquees.
Backlighting the inserts/text is really just a "why not backlight them" thing.
I ran into major design flaws at the climate controller so looks like backlighting will be available only in my DIN friendly rallye bezel.

Detail painting is the most difficult part no matter how the chrome is applied.
This is the main reason I've invested in printed Lexan inserts for the switch marquees.
Backlighting the inserts/text is really just a "why not backlight them" thing.
I ran into major design flaws at the climate controller so looks like backlighting will be available only in my DIN friendly rallye bezel.

I have some decal paper and will print it out and could apply it to the finished product. I will put a couple of coats of satin clear on top of the decal to blend/affix it to the bezel permanently if I have to,since it comes out much crisper than the detailing work will allow . I did the detail work as a young kid to get money for my first car, so I can do the detailing. it's not hard after you make up the shield stencils. but since I'm not doing production work and only have a couple to do I'll just tape/mask (liquid) it off and go from there. now to figure out how to change the speedo numbers from white to black so I can re silk screen or laminate the gauges to white with a darker colored numbers and letters.

If you can make a paint mask, make one slightly larger that the speedo faceplate numbers and spray the back of the speedo faceplate with black paint. This will make the numbering white with a black shadow.

GL!

If you can make a paint mask, make one slightly larger that the speedo faceplate numbers and spray the back of the speedo faceplate with black paint. This will make the numbering white with a black shadow.

GL!

that's a GREAT idea. thanks!!! I can make a back mask after I scan it in and send it to my vinyl cutter, I've been itching to do something other than play with the little(the vinyl cutter) thing by making small shapes and letters to stick on my grandkids walls and such. I'm still learning how to use it and this should be an excellent way to do that without cutting up a ton of expensive vinyl.

thanks again!

-
Back