spray painted headliner

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
has anyone ever rattle caned a cardbord headliner? mine is green and I wana go black :snakeman:

I painted one back when I didn't know no betta.On my current build I used some of that material for headliners from pep boys held on with spray glue.Looks pretty good and I figure it'll lower the interior noise level a bit too.I'm pretty happy with the results.

I did it along time ago to my brothers Duster and no matter how much I scuffed and prepped it,it flaked right off.It would be better to just cover it with headlined material.

What paint did you use? I'm told Acrylic Lacquer is the tool of choice, sprayed directly on a clean surface. I'm going to be doing mine (green to black also) when I get around to the interior. I'm going to use my HVLP, though.

I used lacquer also,but actually now that I remember,the layer of the board,not the paint was flaking off.=\.So I brushed off the flaking layer,and we glued headliner cloth to it.

I did mine first with the duplicolor vinyl dye, but didn't like how it covered, so I rattle canned it with Rustoleum satin black. Looks very nice, and haven't had any problems yet.

Ahh, mine is also flaking in the corners (where it folds). I was hoping I could get by with using a stiff nylon brush to remove the loose surface, then paint.

thats what I wanted to here! and your in Michigan so its gota work right? hehehehehe :toothy10:

I did mine first with the duplicolor vinyl dye, but didn't like how it covered, so I rattle canned it with Rustoleum satin black. Looks very nice, and haven't had any problems yet.

Rustoleum oil base is some great stuff. I buy it by the quart now. I'm hoping the flat black will have the right sheen for the dash if I spray it on heavy. I'll probably do the interior of my Cal Look Beetle with it, as well.

thats what I wanted to here! and your in Michigan so its gota work right? hehehehehe :toothy10:

Haha pretty much. I did mine in the car too, as I was assured that if I took it out I probably wouldn't be able to get it back in one piece. I also pulled my dash pad off and sprayed it with the same Rustoleum until I can afford a cap for it. Doesn't look too bad actually. Just looks like an old, cracked black dash pad.

Sweet! I want to paint mine inside the car as well, did you run into any problems doing it? overspray or anything? :read2:

Haha pretty much. I did mine in the car too, as I was assured that if I took it out I probably wouldn't be able to get it back in one piece. I also pulled my dash pad off and sprayed it with the same Rustoleum until I can afford a cap for it. Doesn't look too bad actually. Just looks like an old, cracked black dash pad.

Well, what I didn't bother (or forgot) to tape off. Just rolled the windows down and tape up the trim and cover the windshield. Otherwise it's a major pain in the *** to get it off with a razor blade/gasket scraper. Ask me how I know...

Just remember to clean whatever you're painting well first.

Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray paint...works great! Did my vinyl top and it turned out great...I bet it would work on a headliner pretty good too...

Spray-bombed my whole interior (minus seats and carpet) green to black. Didn't take any of it out. Masked off the glass, removed the door panels, taped the instrument cluster and went at it. I'm ashamed of some of the things I did to that poor Dart when I was a kid! everything turned out good except the kickpanels and the steering wheel, they peeled like a sunburned irishman.I also used the cheapest gloss-black I could lay my stupid paws on!

i personally agree with jomoper and would use a fabric liner to cover it, a good friend of mine spray painted his and it looked good for a short time and then cracked and peeled, just my input though

Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric spray paint...works great! Did my vinyl top and it turned out great...I bet it would work on a headliner pretty good too...

I used the same stuff. I sprayed my headliner and sail panels etc. and they looked great. No flaking and I didn't even scuff it. Coated nicely used about 2-3 cans.

I removed my headliner and took it down to an upholstry shop where they cover it with foam backed cloth like in a Lincoln Town car. It looks great and is padded. Now I can barely hear the rain on the roof! I paid nothing because it was a friend and we did a labor trade. Bartering is best!

-
Back